Yeti GOBOX Collection

Enclosed Trailer Conversion

I’m exploring the idea of having a hard sided shelter for late(r) season hunts. I’ve mostly been researching various fish house models.

What are the pros and cons of converting an enclosed trailer vs using an Ice Castle or similar fish house?
I was at a dealer who sells Ice Castle fish houses, and I own one and used it out west once. I wanted more room so was going to trade it in for a bigger model. Sales person said do not do it, said they were not made to be pulled that many miles over those rough back country roads and trails. I ended up getting a 16 foot v front and did a lot of work to it. I really like the tandem axles, much better at taking on all the pot holes in a road I go down. Plus we took a couple 4 wheelers on a trip, was the only way to get into an area.

My hunting partner thought my trucks milage sucked while pulling this trailer. So I said fine your truck goes on the next trip. Took it on a deer hunt so it never pulled the trailer over the mountains or any mountain passes. So his new Chevy outdoorsman with 5.3 gas engine got 7.7 MPG. I owned a chevy with 5.3 before...no power, this one didn't either, always downshifting and ran 3,000 rpm's most of the time. In hindsight I wish I had a diesel but then a much smaller fuel tank and extra cost of diesel... may have to do some math to see if its worth it

My hunting partner thought my trucks milage sucked while pulling this trailer. So I said fine your truck goes on the next trip. Took it on a deer hunt so it never pulled the trailer over the mountains or any mountain passes. So his new Chevy outdoorsman with 5.3 gas engine got 7.7 MPG. I owned a chevy with 5.3 before...no power, this one didn't either, always downshifting and ran 3,000 rpm's most of the time. In hindsight I wish I had a diesel but then a much smaller fuel tank and extra cost of diesel... may have to do some math to see if its worth it

In the past I've had three Chevy Avalanches with the 5.3 Vortec. Decent motor, but no pulling ability at all. I got tired of listening to it down shift, watching the tachometer go up and the fuel gauge go down, every time I encountered a hill or a headwind. They were very annoying to tow with.

I use 2 options, a generator/electric heater or a MR Buddy/propane. I had it in single digit temperatures and had no issues, (the Big Buddy 18k btu will roast the place).
I put in a diesel heater in mine.

nice,,its right in the ball park of my 7x14 stealth aluminum that i have converted on one of the other trailer conversion threads on here.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back