Elkhorn Mountains Montana

First archery elk. Way to go! Looks like you had a real pumper of a wound channel. Blood on the antlers

Congrats on your bull. I had the tag in 2009 and was very happy with my bull. I shot the first hard horned 6 point I had in bow range. They certainly don't give them away over there.

First archery elk. Way to go! Looks like you had a real pumper of a wound channel. Blood on the antlers

When he was going down he was bugling/shrieking and spewing blood out of his mouth and thats how I think he got the blood all over his rack. He pilled up three feet from the tree i was sitting in. Coolest thing i have ever seen. words cant explain it.

Great job in the Elkhorns.Congrats.Loved the brief description of the final breath,what a vivid image.Were you hunting a tree stand over a wallow?

Great job in the Elkhorns.Congrats.Loved the brief description of the final breath,what a vivid image.Were you hunting a tree stand over a wallow?

I was hunting out of a tree stand over a very active wallow. I have never seen anything like the activity that was going on in this spot. I read John Erickson's book before the season and it changed the way I think about Elk hunting. Until this point I had never even hunted out of a tree stand. I found this spot and all the things in his book just clicked. i purchased a tree stand and set it up the day i shot this elk. If i wasnt married i would still be sitting in it.

Very cool. that place is fun, just spent a weekend in there with a friend who has a permit, needless to say, I'm pretty jealous.

But you never told us you were Texan!;)

I had to think about that one for awhile. I was wondering how you knew i was from Texas. You were talking about "a Texas heart shot". ;)

To set the record straight: He was quartering away and i was about 20 feet above him in a tree stand. From a tree stand the arrow is coming from a steep angle. I was always told to aim "high on the animal" from a tree stand. It entered high on his left rear side behind the ribs (you can see in the picture) and ended up against the bottom of the right shoulder. He lived for maybe 10 seconds after he was stuck.

I had to think about that one for awhile. I was wondering how you knew i was from Texas. QUOTE]

I was really drawing reference to another thread where a HuntTalker said "only Texan's hunt elk from a tree stand", and seemed to look down on those folks who did take advantage of an elevated ambush spot. I for one am glad you nailed him with a quickly lethal arrow. Well done!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back