Elk/wolf seminar at MSU

mdunc8

I thought this might be of interest to some of the Bozeman folks. The talk is next Thursday, November 1 at 3:30pm in 304 Lewis Hall on campus. They typically last 45 minutes with 5-10 minutes reserved at the end for questions.

Scott Creel, Professor, Conservation Biology and Ecology Program, Department of Ecology, MSU, will present “15 Is the New 30: Elk Calf Recruitment and Population Dynamics in the Yellowstone Ecosystem”

Abstract: Recently, the population dynamics of elk have changed markedly in some Montana and Wyoming regions, while population dynamics have changed little in other regions. Calf recruitment is widely held to be an important driver of elk dynamics, and in most areas with reduced population growth, pregnancy rates and recruitment have declined. These changes coincide with wolf recovery in the region, but the causes are debated. Here, we tabulated and analyzed data for 12 elk populations -- six within the region colonized by wolves, and six outside the wolf recovery area. The data span a period of 30 years before and after wolf recolonization, allowing a before-after-control-impact analysis (with some important limitations). We examined changes in population size and calf recruitment, and tested for relationships with all of the variables that have been hypothesized to affect elk dynamics. These include changes in density, winter snow accumulation, growing season conditions, human harvest, predation by bears, direct predation by wolves, and the 'risk effects' of wolf presence. Some of these variables were strongly correlated with recent changes in elk dynamics, while others were not.

If any of you get to this if you could post a condensed summary it would be appreciated.

Here's some "light" reading for those are interested :rolleyes:. Creel and his group have published many papers related to Greater Yellowstone elk, but I figured this would be enough to satisfy most on here. The first paper, which addresses hunter harvest of wolves, is probably the most interesting and pertinent for most folks here.

Disclaimer #1: I haven't read much of his stuff and thus have no opinion on any of the papers I've posted.

Disclaimer #2: Creel and FWP don't get along

Attachments

• Creel and Rotella 2010.pdf
    250.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Bergman et al. 2006.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Creel and Creel 2009.pdf
    218.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Creel and Winnie 2005.pdf
    352.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Creel et al. 2007.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Winnie and Creel 2007.pdf
    275.4 KB · Views: 851
  • Winnie et al. 2006.pdf
    286.2 KB · Views: 29
I have taken graduate level coursework from Dr. Creel. All I will say is that he is good at getting published, is intelligent, and has biases just like everyone else. Everyone will have to decide for themselves if his conclusions are logical and legitimate, keeping sound ecological principles in mind.

Certainly calf recruitment is down, but I wonder if the numbers might improve overtime as elk evolve/adapt to steady predation during the winter months from wolves? Meaning can cows better sustain a pregnancy with increased stress? It is an acute point to a much larger issue, but elk themselves have begun to adapt to the additional predator I wonder if additional adaptations will occur.

Back