Elk with my sons

fishing4sanity

My kids are all grown and have their own families now, but hunts with them are still the most fulfilling. My oldest son and I drew tags this year and were hunting some pretty open terrain. A few long stalks ended with elk that just vanished or groups where the bull seemed to get smaller as we got closer. At times the fog was so thick we could only find where they'd traveled, but not get eyes on them.
IMG-1819 (1).jpg
IMG-1840.jpg
Day six was sunny and clear, my middle son joined us that day as well. We spotted a small group of bulls with one nice 6x6. They crossed a large canyon and then started feeding up a narrow finger out of sight. We dropped down into the canyon and I knew going straight up the other side I was going to slow up my sons. I told them to go ahead and if they got the chance to shoot not to wait for me. When I made it to the top my son had the 6x6 down.
IMG-1888.jpg
IMG-1902.jpg
My middle son said he was pretty sure he knew where the rest of the bulls went and could still get me on them again. Sure enough, after awhile he spotted elk and using a small mound we closed the distance. After crawling closer, then belly crawling onto the mound he pointed out the two best bulls. I pointed out a different bull with an unusual rack. He said the other two were bigger, but not by a lot and to shoot what I wanted. He knew funky was going to be my choice. I was glad to have 2 sons there when the work of getting both bulls broke down began.
IMG-1860.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Last edited:
The elk in that Palouse country are really fascinating. Never hunted them but hunted deer in that country quite a bit, well done.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back