Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ELK units

old man

I have hunted elk a few times with outfitters but now i can no longer afford them . so here i am on DIOYO. I have read and watched and learnt how to find elk. Now i want to know how to go about looking for the right unit.I have know idea how to even start. yes I know I can look at a map for good elk habitat and then look at what unit it is in, but is that the best way to go about it?

A few options:

1. call local game biologists.
2. the "Huntin' Fool" publication. It will cost you $100, however, it can give you a place to start.
3. Other publications & online forums. (OYOA & Bowsite)
4. Friends (and friends of friends) & people located in elk areas.

I am sure that I am missing some of the obvious ways.

good luck to all
the dog

First decide on a state, then on a unit or zone. dnr web sites are useful. Then talk with biologist about that unit. now pull out the maps and narrow your search to 3 or 4 hotspots. Maps are useful but only after you have narrowed your search. Always have at least 1 backup plan. good luck.

1. Go to Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. :) Question - was the land you hunted with the outfitter public or private? Why not start at, or around where you went with a guide, just DIY on adjacent public/BLM NF??? Make sense.

There is more info on Fish and Game / DIvision of WIldlife websites, it is ruining hunting, and going about it is as easy a clicking your mouse. There is too much of this business on these sites too, where guys are panhandling for info and get it. Your question : How do you go about looking for the right unit? Takes a lot of time, couple sets of tires, boot leather, sweat, tears and years....but it depends what yer looking for in a unit? Trophy? Cow? an experience?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back