PEAX Equipment

Elk tags--need some help from your experience

Dalumpkin

Hey all,

Sorry if this thread gets posted twice (appeared I had a technical issue on the first attempt).

3 of us are traveling out to SW Colorado, 2 from Indiana and one from Illinois, for our first team Elk hunt. All three of us are avid backpackers, hunters, and conservationist and are thrilled for this 2-week Elk hunt. We have been planning for this trip for just about a year and our trip is closely approaching. There is one question that we are still debating’s, tags.
We will be arriving one week prior to the opening of second season rifle. Our plan is to utilize the first week to investigate, hike, and glass our planned routes and hopefully catch site of some bulls to track till the 2nd season opener.

One of our hunting partners has his OTC second season rifle tag but the question is do I snag one as well? With being blessed to have two full weeks, having done so much research, it seems it would be a shame to not have a tag in my pocket as well. On the flip side, would it be irresponsible thinking we could bag up two bulls on our first team Elk hunt and invest that much on a non-resident tag?
For those of you that hunt often with friends or hunting parties, what is your advice on having more than one tag in your team’s possession?

Thank you so much in advance for assisting me with the brain twisting dilemma!

If you expect to carry a gun, you'll need to buy a tag. Party hunting is not legal. I suppose you could hold off on the tag and just be a spotter. To maximize your chances of success you all should be out hunting and have licenses.

Thank you Jwill, and I should have clarified that point. If we stick with the one tag we have, there will be only one rifle in the field, with the two us without a tag there for spotting and strategy collaboration.

Good deal! In my experience, a lot of elk movement during 2nd season in CO will be in response to hunting pressure, so you just need to be ready when those elk come by, having 2 or 3 guys hunting on the mountain really increases your chances. Now if you find a sanctuary area your plan for a single hunter could work. The good news is you don't have to buy your tag until you arrive, so you could be ready for either scenario depending on what your scouting turns up.

If tags are available I would always have one. I am still kicking myself while elk hunting in Wyoming a mountain lion crossed in front of me at 30 yards while I was taking a break on a side hill. A great memory for sure. Check the Colorado leftover list to see if any mule deer tags are left for the unit you plan to hunt.

I'd make sure all 3 have tags if they are available and the person wants to shoot an elk. It'll maximize your chances of the "team" coming home with an elk.

PS- I didn't realize there are avid backpackers in IN... ;) :D

Congrats on the big commitment to come out early and just scout the areas.
I agree with some of the other advice to buy as many tags as your checkbook's can stand. At $644 /tag, Colorado P & W appreciates the revenue. Ha! When you say you're hunting in S.W. Colorado, I assume you're hunting West of the divide, or perhaps Wolf Creek Pass? I live on the East side of the divide. Around here, I think the weather during the last 10 days of archery season may have impacted hunter success. Can't be sure of that, but I know the weather wasn't the best for ideal hunting. The wind blew strong many days, so a bugle would be difficult to hear. Then we had a lot of rains. We live below a 13,000' peak and I couldn't see it for days due to the rainclouds. Probably lousy tent camping too, as the temps got down below freezing with that damp chill that comes with it.
I had to forego archery season this year, and didn't draw a 1st rifle season, so I'll be out there 2nd rifle too.
Good luck

Unless you all 3 are going to stick right together the entire hunt, which I have a hard time imagining, I'd definitely have my own tag. Otherwise, without fail, the "spotters" will have opportunities and the "hunter" won't. That tag will seem awfully cheap if you have to watch a bull walk off because the guy with the tag is taking a dump over the hill.

Great Advice

Good deal! In my experience, a lot of elk movement during 2nd season in CO will be in response to hunting pressure, so you just need to be ready when those elk come by, having 2 or 3 guys hunting on the mountain really increases your chances. Now if you find a sanctuary area your plan for a single hunter could work. The good news is you don't have to buy your tag until you arrive, so you could be ready for either scenario depending on what your scouting turns up.

Great advice Jwill! During one of my conversations with a Colorado hunt planner he suggested a very similar strategy.He suggested that if we are successful in locating some bulls that I could take a day to drive down to the Durango office and purchase a tag. That was the direction I was leaning until I really started weighing the benefits of having a tag in my possession and not having o sacrifice a day out of the field.
Thank you Jwill for your advice!

If tags are available I would always have one. I am still kicking myself while elk hunting in Wyoming a mountain lion crossed in front of me at 30 yards while I was taking a break on a side hill. A great memory for sure. Check the Colorado leftover list to see if any mule deer tags are left for the unit you plan to hunt.

Thank you Rocky176!
My first call and question to a Colorado hunt planner was if there were any leftover Mule deer tags available and sadly there were not.
Thank you Rocky176 for you advice!

I'd make sure all 3 have tags if they are available and the person wants to shoot an elk. It'll maximize your chances of the "team" coming home with an elk.

PS- I didn't realize there are avid backpackers in IN... ;) :D

Thanks 1_pointer,
It looks as if I am leaning towards your advice of grabbing a tag as well. Your quote about backpackers in Indiana did give me a good laugh. There may not be many of us but there should be so many more. There are dozens of amazing state parks and refuges to camp and backpack within just a couple hours of driving from most anywhere in Indiana. I am always trying to recruit more midwest backpackers!

Congrats on the big commitment to come out early and just scout the areas.
I agree with some of the other advice to buy as many tags as your checkbook's can stand. At $644 /tag, Colorado P & W appreciates the revenue. Ha! When you say you're hunting in S.W. Colorado, I assume you're hunting West of the divide, or perhaps Wolf Creek Pass? I live on the East side of the divide. Around here, I think the weather during the last 10 days of archery season may have impacted hunter success. Can't be sure of that, but I know the weather wasn't the best for ideal hunting. The wind blew strong many days, so a bugle would be difficult to hear. Then we had a lot of rains. We live below a 13,000' peak and I couldn't see it for days due to the rainclouds. Probably lousy tent camping too, as the temps got down below freezing with that damp chill that comes with it.
I had to forego archery season this year, and didn't draw a 1st rifle season, so I'll be out there 2nd rifle too.
Good luck

Thank you Windymtnman for your feedback and info on SW Colorado conditions thus far! That is certainly some insight that I have not yet heard about the season thus far. Best wishes to you as well on your second season!

Unless you all 3 are going to stick right together the entire hunt, which I have a hard time imagining, I'd definitely have my own tag. Otherwise, without fail, the "spotters" will have opportunities and the "hunter" won't. That tag will seem awfully cheap if you have to watch a bull walk off because the guy with the tag is taking a dump over the hill.

Thank you LCH and I am now planning on following yours an others advice about snagging that tag. Without fail my luck would play into that scenario about having an amazing opportunity and not having a tag!
thank you again for the advice!!

What unit are you hunting? There may be a leftover/returned cow tag available. Keep checking on the deer tag too, they add them randomly and will sell out very quickly again.

All 3 should buy. When you get into the woods and can only see 50 yards it is often the elk you don't see that blow your approach to the elk that you do see. Maybe the guy 50 yards back has a clear shot that you don't. My elk kills are much smaller than my elk encounters, but I remember how I would have handled the situation differently on each one of those encounters.

You don't have to make the decision until you've done your scouting. You can then walk into most places and buy a tag, or the CPW office once season opens.

I'd want at least one person in your group to have a cow tag if one was available. That significantly increases your chance of taking some meat home.

What unit are you hunting? There may be a leftover/returned cow tag available. Keep checking on the deer tag too, they add them randomly and will sell out very quickly again.

Planning on being in 71 and 74. And thanks for the info on the cow tags and deer tags! I was not aware on the cow tag returns or that some deer tags may get added back in. That is some great insight!
Thanks a ton Cody Lightfoot

You have to check it constantly. Pull up that page and refresh it every chance you get and don't hesitate on buying it, if you see one. There has been deer tags but they sell within a few min. There was a 70 2nd season cow tag yesterday, but it's already sold. Good luck!

In the group that I hunt with we buy as many tags as possible but we mostly rifle hunt 3rd season now so that affords us the opportunity to apply for cows tags before we go then after we get there depending on weather,etc. we can purchase over the counter bulls tags. Some years you could get a cow and a bull, some years you get nothing, but having the tags provides you the opportunity if it arises. I'd say if your wallet can afford it get all the tags you can.

Back