Elk ribs

mdunc8

This should probably go in the recipe forum, but I figured there would be a little more traffic in here. Are the ribs on an elk worthsaving (given you're not 15 miles in the backcountry)? I always feel obligated to take as much off the animal as possible and felt bad leaving the ribs on my cow especially since I was only a few miles in.

You can bone the meat out for burger. Normally elk ribs have a tallowy taste when you cook them with the bone. Your tongue feels like it will stick to the roof of your mouth.

Well said, shoots-straight. I kept the ribs from a cow once. Felt like I was chewing on tires. In fact, I'm still chewing. (shot that elk 4 years ago.) Best for burger or sausage.

My Granddad used to keep venison ribs.............he boiled them first to get the tallow/fat off them And then roasted/broiled them as he saw fit. They turned out pretty good. As said earlier, I was taught (granddad again) to utilize as much of the meat possible. To me, it's a responsibility and respect to our hunting heritage.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back