Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk Resources

amalpine

Hi everyone, I'm a first time elk hunter and just drew a bow tag in New Mexico. I have been doing a ton of research, but being an engineer by profession I'd like to learn a bit more about the elk themselves - figured this would set me up optimally in the field for some good opportunities. I was wondering what your best elk resources are? I have bought Elk Hunting the West by Mike Eastman, which should be coming in the mail the next few days, but I really want to build a repository on all things elk. I want to learn their ecology, biology, etc. things that make them tick. Anything you have in mind that you would say gets me to the point of understanding how to think, act, and be like an elk. I think understanding that is fundamentally important for my hunt coming up. Thanks in advance!

Lot of great info to read. I have the small and large game guides by The Meateater few. If you can make a trip, I'd say get out there and scout though. I learn the most by watching them. Find out how they react to pressure, where they bed, etc. If a picture says a thousand words, watching a scene like this must be worth a book or two!

Attachments

• 0329201431_HDR.jpg
    0329201431_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Lot of great info to read. I have the small and large game guides by The Meateater few. If you can make a trip, I'd say get out there and scout though. I learn the most by watching them. Find out how they react to pressure, where they bed, etc. If a picture says a thousand words, watching a scene like this must be worth a book or two!

Absolutely! I'm planning on making a few trips out here this summer. Conveniently, the unit is right next to an awesome rock climbing crag I can split my time at. I'll take a look into the books, and maybe can find some videos of elk to put on while working form home haha - must be worth something?

Absolutely! I'm planning on making a few trips out here this summer. Conveniently, the unit is right next to an awesome rock climbing crag I can split my time at. I'll take a look into the books, and maybe can find some videos of elk to put on while working form home haha - must be worth something?
Right on, sounds like you are already all over it. Documentaries might be helpful too. The Yellowstone miniseries that discovery did talked a lot about elk and showed a lot of behavior.

Here in New Mexico we have a unique elk situation. In northern NM the Elk migrate. In the Southern GMUs they do not migrate. Also the rut starts later in the South.

Here in New Mexico we have a unique elk situation. In northern NM the Elk migrate. In the Southern GMUs they do not migrate. Also the rut starts later in the South.
Thanks, Gila. I will be hunting unit 51 in the north near El Rito. Sep 1-14. Hopefully a good window, if it weren't for that pesky full moon the whole time. Banking on early snow up in CO.

When the rut is ramping up my opinion is that a full moon will have a positive effect on elk activity up there. The numbers show that on the second half of your hunt you should see more bull activity. Find a nutrient rich area (like burn edges) near water because that is where the cows will be feeding. Watch Bigfin's E-scouting series. He also breaks down the hunting conditions by the different seasons. I found everything on Amazon Prime. Some are on Youtube. I have had good luck hanging trail cams. Being a man of somewhat meager means, I use some old, cheap trail cams that I won't miss if they are stolen.

Cool picture

Just to follow up, I ended up buying Elk Hunting the West by Mike Eastman and Backcountry Bowhunting by Cam Hanes, both were useful foundations for giving me an idea of what I needed to do when I got out there. Spending the whole week following a herd, though, was really the learning opportunity, though. Amazing creatures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back