Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk mountain tents

www.walltentshop.com/

I took this picture the day I first set the tent up in my yard.It needed some fine tuning with frame/pole length,but I got it pretty well dialed in.The stove is a Wilderness deluxe model 3.
Looks like a good setup. I like the "eaves."
When I get to go with the family in Eastern WA my dad covers up his Wall tent with tarps. ;)

Attachments

• Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3,903
Hey guys, anyone have any experience with the Kodiak Canvas steel tube framed tents?
These are pretty much a one-off of the Springbar tents. They have a pretty good reputation. I used one (SB) on a trip to MT. It held up fine, but only had one night of much weather and that was just wind. Miller and Axl took care of making sure it didn't fall over. ;) I think they are a pretty good setup for a base tent kind of setup. Though they don't suggest it, being made of canvas they can be modified to use a woodstove.

I bought a new tent two years ago and it is absolutely perfect.
Check out:
2005 Hoggan's Custom Canvas & Leather
P.O. Box 825 :: 530 6th Street
Rupert, Idaho 83350
Phone: 208-436-4395
Fax: 208-436-5138
[email protected]

I used my tent for the second time this gun season,totally happy with it.A few tidbits.Don't use the spark arrest hood unless necessary.Burning fir and pine clogged the ports rather quickly.This time of year probably not necessary anyhow.The side windows were not my first choice but boy am I glad to have them now.Aside from extra light,the bonus ventilation was great for the middle of the night....close to my head.The temps were around zero at night,the Wilderness 3 stove kept the tent perfectly warm,but does require stoking once or twice.Pm me if you have any questions about set-up etc. glad to help.

Thanks HEM I will, I am going to go with the wilderness 16x20 and the Yukon 4 stove with all the goodies. I also am getting the 8 ' extended fly, 1 window on each side and the back door option. Its there November speacial so the price is good. Thanks for everything......Bambam

I have a 12x18 Davis tent that I bought in 2009,I use this tent atleast two months each year and have not had any problems with it.Setting up by myself is easy.Very comfortable for three people,All cooking is done in cook shack.
Two things to consider when choosing size,Bigger is better,Do I have room to set up for drying after getting back.

My stove is a Kwik Kamp Inferno and it does well,I have used the smaller (Blaze) stove it was just a bit to small,,it is nice to wake up in the morning and still have a fire burning.

I hope this is of some help.

RLS,

Excellent points.

I have a Montana canvas 12x17. it is terrific. I can set it up by myself in about 45 minutes. that includes hammering all the stakes. taking it down and rolling it up are a pain though. go to home depot or lowes and buy outdoor carpeting for your floor. you'll be happy you did. always set it up at home after your trip to dry it out.

Junior,

That is a GREAT idea! Buying some carpeting for your floor. That can likely be done pretty inexpensively.

Elk Mountain Tents

I am going to make the plunge on a wall tent and stove I am looking at The Elk Mtn. tents. Does anyone have one that can share there feelings about them? Thanks

Hello! My brother, Justin, is the owner of Elk Mountain Tents. It looks like no actual owners of the tent have responded yet, so I thought I would add my 2 cents.

An Elk Mountain Tent uses a polyester material that is lighter and doesn't rot like canvas. It's just as durable as traditional canvas. They are great tents and the price is unbeatable.

I know I am biased since he's my brother, so check out the reviews on the tents:

https://www.amazon.com/Canvas-Wall-Tent-Angle-Kit/dp/B010RONQ0O
https://www.facebook.com/ElkMountainTents/reviews/
http://www.yellowpages.com/nampa-id/mip/elk-mountain-tents-503483383

I suppose I sound critical here, but I thought this venue of "backpacking" was just that?

Besides a professional outfitter, how many of the posters here pack these monstrosities into the backcountry? Don't get me wrong, I could enjoy all of these heated wall tents and amenities, but I rarely camp at a trailhead where these could be set up. I use pack in with two horses & a mule and am re-evaluating my choice of tents. I currently have a 10' Cabela's Outback tent, and am going to sell it. It is a pretty big bundle to pack, and I've seen tents made by Ozark Trail that are just as big, and for some reason roll up to 1/2 the size. Yeah, I know the Ozark Trail brand is a Walmart tent, but I've looked at them critically, and they seem pretty well made. Their price is about 1/3 of what Cabela's would charge you too, so if it gets damaged, you're not out all that much.

Davis Tents are good and the company is great to work with. They have a summer sale and sometimes you can get a screaming deal on a tent and frame kit.

I suppose I sound critical here, but I thought this venue of "backpacking" was just that?

Besides a professional outfitter, how many of the posters here pack these monstrosities into the backcountry? Don't get me wrong, I could enjoy all of these heated wall tents and amenities, but I rarely camp at a trailhead where these could be set up. I use pack in with two horses & a mule and am re-evaluating my choice of tents. I currently have a 10' Cabela's Outback tent, and am going to sell it. It is a pretty big bundle to pack, and I've seen tents made by Ozark Trail that are just as big, and for some reason roll up to 1/2 the size. Yeah, I know the Ozark Trail brand is a Walmart tent, but I've looked at them critically, and they seem pretty well made. Their price is about 1/3 of what Cabela's would charge you too, so if it gets damaged, you're not out all that much.

Honestly, the majority of the people that use walls tents are not packing them in, and most people just don't have access to horses. That being said, having a tent with a stove in the back country can mean the difference of being miserable or enjoying a hunt of a lifetime.

For those interested, here is a bit more about the canvas material used in an Elk Mountain Tent:

Elk Mountain Tents uses a 100% polyester tent material that is 11oz canvas with a breaking strength of 449lbs (warp direction) and 382lbs (fill direction), making it significantly tougher than traditional canvas which has a breaking strength of 382 (warp) and 241 (fill) for 12oz canvas and about 210 (warp) and 140 (fill) for 10oz canvas. The material’s tear strength is 67lbs (warp) and 40lbs (fill); this is roughly double that of the Sunforger canvas material.

You can request a sample of the material at www.elkmountaintents.com

Although the material should be reason enough, people also choose Elk Mountain Tents because...
1) A lower price than anywhere else. Feel free to shop around and compare!
2) More standard features (like 6 screened windows on the 13x16).
3) Fast processing and shipping. Your tent will usually get to your door within 5 days of ordering it (compared to weeks or months at other sites).

Last edited:
I purchased a Cabelas Big horn tent with the vestibule. Held up great in the early bow season CO. Had 40-50mph winds and didn't move,have yet to try in snow but looking at the design, don't think it will be a problem at all.Very easy set up and roomy,purchased on sale $600,

To address the Elk Mountain tents in the OP, the only one that I have been in, and seen put up was incredibly cheap feeling, and would not be something that you would want to count on for many years. The guys that have it are incredibly careful with their equipment and have had to have repairs made to it every year.

Whatever money they saved by being cheap in Year 1, they have spent in repairs Year 2, Year, 3, and Year 4.

Compare that to something like a Davis tent, where I really don't ever expect it to need a repair, with much less careful handling.

To address the Elk Mountain tents in the OP, the only one that I have been in, and seen put up was incredibly cheap feeling, and would not be something that you would want to count on for many years. The guys that have it are incredibly careful with their equipment and have had to have repairs made to it every year.

Whatever money they saved by being cheap in Year 1, they have spent in repairs Year 2, Year, 3, and Year 4.

Compare that to something like a Davis tent, where I really don't ever expect it to need a repair, with much less careful handling.

Are you sure it was an Elk Mountain Tent and not something else?

The material we use is actually much stronger than the canvas used by Davis Tents in both break and tear strength (see specs above). For this reason, we have not had any reports of repairs being needed besides one report of a zipper issue with the original (2013) model that has since been fixed. We have also had two or three people mention having an angle piece break on them, which we then replaced free of charge. (incidentally, each tent now comes with an extra angle piece of each kind just in case). Other than these isolated incidents, our customers are very satisfied with their tents. Being of a 100% polyester material, the tents will not rot and mildew so they generally hold up better than cotton canvas over time.

That being said, you can't go wrong with a Davis Tent or one from Cabela's. Although they would not be my first choice, they do make excellent tents.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back