Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Lesson for Moosie

browtine ,,,,on the hoof in you can estimate the score and tell the difference between a 375 and 360 bull?

Greenhorn,

You made an awesome post. Its certainly one with great advise and I know Oscar read it and understood it. Its not just a post for him, we all can learn/listen to it. I wasn't trying to over run it. Sorry if it came off that way. I also am not trying to be a know it all on scores or imply that a 360 bull isnt big. Last year there were a minimal amount of tags given for that unit. One guide killed 5/6 bulls that booked and 3 over 400. The state record was killed there last year, beaten again this year, but was then beat again by the book cliffs bull. (433 426Net). I am just simply pointing out the success that unit has had. You said "alot of effort".. you are absolutly right. We have done our homework on that unit and hunted areas that were thick with migrating bulls. Scmalts has been offered help by one of the most knowledgable people on that unit. That guy has been involved in several 400 inch bulls hitting the ground and is in the "know" with bulls that were alive the year before and should be in certain areas.. So I said that about the 360 bull without hessitation knowing all that and in my mind saying that unless it was the last couple of days.. .

Yes, in most cases, I believe I can tell the difference between a 360 and a 375 bull. I have been fortunate enough to see most of the bulls dead or their sheds after looking them over. I have learned by listening and watching one of the best guides out there. I also have multible sets of sheds off of animals that helped me to guess scores prior to actually holding the sheds. That is a great way to learn how to field judge animals.

Good advice for when I do pull that NV archery tag.

Best of luck Oscar. Hope your lucky butt kills a big bull. You gonna sight that errant scope back in before you go or just "wing it" with those paper puncher boolits?

Greenhorn, I have to ask. When you say it was the biggest bull you've ever seen by FAR. What does that mean? The reason I ask is I think back to the photo you posted on here of the 7 x 6 that was up for debate on the score. If I recall you had that elk knocking on the door to 400 inches. I wasn't in agreement but since it never hit the ground we'll never know. Now are you saying this bull that got away ( so far ) was well over 400?

Also, when it comes to passing up big bulls with a great tag. I totally understand why some people would have a difficult time passing a 360. For someone that has a garage full of rag horns and a 310 mounted above the fire place a 360 is HUGE. But for the guy that has two 370 plus bulls mounted and a garage full of 330's it's just another bull over 350. I just think it would be damn hard for anyone to pass up the biggest bull of their life by 50 inches. It all boils down to what you will be happy with. In the end you don't have to shoot a bull to impress any of the people on this site or anyone else. Shoot what you're going to be happy with and you can't go wrong.

Yetty, the bull I'm talking about was a real whopper and I lost a lot of sleep over it. I hadn't told too many people about it for obvious reasons, but I did have a friend along that day. Although I could be way off base, I think it was well over 400. Believe it or not, it was a national forest bull, not a ranch or limited quota area elk. And I still think that big Gardiner bull was in the 400 range. I've misjudged my share of animals, and like most guys, it wouldn't be the first or last time for that. I just hope it doesn't happen this fall on a moose.

My point wasn't for Oscar to try and impress anybody, but to hold off on nailing a nice 6 point (i.e. 320 or so). He's got 2 really good elk permits and I do know how hard it is to hold off on decent animals like that.

I was using examples of something I regret (messing with a nice bull and costing me a great one). And something I don't regret - holding off on the AZ strip and coming home with a tag.

Here's that dinky migrating park elk again. Could be wrong, but I think I've only see one better. But I haven't been in Utah, AZ, or certain places in MT where this size and larger are more common. I watched this elk up close (it was a tame one) for about 15 minutes. It's no 370 bull, that's for sure. If I remember right, I was thinking 390 on the 6X6 frame, then throw in the full sized extra brow-tine on the right side..

Attachments

• Elk7.jpg
    Elk7.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 307
tough one to score from that angle because you can't see the main beam length. also hard to judge the length of the brows. If i had to just guess from this picture alone i would say it's a 380 bull, but like I said, It is my guess from this hard to judge angle. Mass is nothing overly spectacular on it.

Wasn't really a premo tag, but there is a 180 buck with a sweet kicker on the lower smaller ridge line behind me bedded down. The big buck and his does just layed there and watched me pack out bambi.

Would I have killed him? Who knows but I sure thought alot about that all the way home from Nevada and for the next year. Long trip, lots of money for a little whipper, easier to go home empty handed.

Attachments

• nev053.jpg
    nev053.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 282
So, Greenhorn, How did Moosie do on your advice?? Pass or fail..

I'm Happy Shmalts, so I passed.. BEOTCH !! :D

Thanx for all the Advice guys. Every year I learn more and More.... Someday, I might even be able to pass on some good info... ;)

Anybody that shoots something to meet someone else's expectations is gay. Good job, Moosie (but I suspect you're gay anyway:D ;) )

IDB didn't go hunting with me cuz I'm a good hunter......... :D
Nope it's because he is a good packer. :confused: Wait a second he hasn't packed out anything for me this year. I've only packed out his chit this year. I'm not sure if that is coming out right.

Nope it's because he is a good packer. :confused: Wait a second he hasn't packed out anything for me this year. I've only packed out his chit this year. I'm not sure if that is coming out right.

wow.. moosie is a good packer, and IB says he packs a lot of chit. I think Oak is on to something:D

He meant Snacks. I packed Fudge for the Trip. I'm a Fudge Packer....

IDB Ain't packed chit out for me. Uhhh In Wyoming I mean, Utah he bailed me out with my heavy pack :D :D

Back