PEAX Equipment

Elk in the High country

jlong17

I am gearing up for my first archery elk hunt this September. The area I have narrowed down has some pretty nasty terrain. Over the last few days of E-scouting I have noticed a lot of scree fields or talus in this specific area. My question is: How do Elk use this rugged alpine habitat? Could I expect to see elk moving in and out through this rocky terrain, or do they avoid it completely? Thanks in advance.

Many variables - large areas of Mt Goat habitat, elk don't use much - usually elk will be below in the Timber. Sept - North slope timber. Cool wet. Were are you going?

Many variables - large areas of Mt Goat habitat, elk don't use much - usually elk will be below in the Timber. Sept - North slope timber. Cool wet. Were are you going?

I am looking at the West Elks in Colorado. I am archery hunting there in September, and then I am still figuring out where I will be doing a rifle hunt. I know we were talking in another forum about an Idaho Cow hunt. I still haven't quite decided where to narrow down a unit with the best odds at putting meat in the freezer for that hunt. It's going to be a busy Fall for me!! As for the Archery hunt... I have low expectations. I am planning on this being a nice backpacking trip with some buddies and hopefully we learn a thing or two!

For me, I have seen them mostly crossing scree/ rock fields to go from bedding to feed. However, in archery season all bets are off. Bulls will go lower to find cows. So just find the cows!

My experience is elk are more in rough terrain where's still some feed and not in sheep and goat rocky areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back