Elk in Estes Park

Its pretty wild and fun to be around. Although there are always a couple tourists that get trampled just to get a pic, natural selection at its finest. Enjoy it!

I spend some time there every other year, I love the park and watching young bulls rub sign posts and peoples deck railings...trampling the golf course etc. Its fun to watch but I feel for the residents, some of whom have had enough - others wouldnt care if the elk destroyed everything they own. To each their own, for me it's a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there.

I grew up not far from there. Whenever we had relatives It was my duty to drive them through Testical Park and RMNP. My Wife and I go once a year to look at elk.

Rode the bike thru RMNP from Granby thru Estes...doesn't get much better on the eyes. Estes Park was the busiest place I think I've ever been.
I’m pretty sure it has more people through it every year than Yellowstone. I am almost positive but can’t remember where I read it.

it's just the way it's always been in estes park. interesting intersection of national park, town, migration routes, summer range, winter range, fair amount of surrounding NF. always been a difficult place for cpw to try and meet herd objective for the unit.

i've heard sharpshooters do get employed in the area from time to time, was never really certain to what degree or how often that's the case. some of those low level areas in RMNP have had habitat issues cause of all the elk

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back