Elk Hunting Newbie Needing Wisdom...

scotttgill

Hello All,

I'm new to Hunt Talk so before I ask a couple of elk hunting questions, let me frame them. I'm in my mid-forties and live in Texas. I hunt deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, duck, and dove. I've always dreamed of elk hunting in Colorado much like my late father did a few times when I was young. So, I've decided to quit just saying "I'd like to do it" and I've decided to just go for it. Because of a lack of funds, I'm going to have to do a backcountry public lands hunt on some of those units in Colorado that offer over-the-counter-tags. Now, understand, I'm a teacher and coach and a dad of four, finances are always strapped so I'm taking my time right now to learn and pick up equipment here and there to eventually do a hunt (my goal is to go within the next three years). I'm ok with the long time table because it is allowing me to go to "Elk Hunting University" which is basically reading everything I can (Dr. Rinella), watching you tube videos by Professor Newberg, and getting every piece of info I can from folks like you.

So, here are two questions to start... I know I'm going to have tons more on this journey:

1) Because I'm going elk hunting for the first time, should I go for a cow elk tag or a bull? I really don't care, I love the meat. I realize that public land hunting is more of a challenge in seeing elk (I grew up public land hunting for deer in Tennessee) so I want the best chance to at least see something.

2) What is the one piece of equipment that you would say is a must to get for a back country hunt (mid to late season) (assuming I have a good rifle and binos)? I'm talking tents, camp stoves, backpacks, sleeping bags, GPS units, clothes etc.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Scott Gill

On the first question. You should definitely buy a either sex tag. It would be heart breaking to only have a cow tag and to have a shot on a bull. That said on your first hunt if a cow gives you a shot take it! The little money you would save with a cow only tag isn't worth taking the chance. Planning that far ahead another 250 bucks is well worth it. Good luck it's amazing just being out there!

Well this is assuming your archery hunting. I think rifle you may have to pick.

Just saw your rifle hunting in your second question so ignore me. Shew it's been a long day. Lol

Thank you.. great advice. I totally understand the long day... teaching summer school now to make some of that extra cash.

Either sex rifle tags are available via the draw. Do you have any preference points?

With regards to equipment, the most important piece of gear IMO is you. Physical and mental preparedness are essential to successful rocky mountain elk hunts. Good luck helps an awful lot too. :)

Welcome to the forum.

If you can get a cow tag, that would be my choice for a first hunt. When I start learning a new area I put in for cow tags until I'm more confident I can find the elk. (Besides, carrying a cow tag almost guarantees you'll see a huge bull :) )

As for #1 equipment, I'd have to say good-fitting boots. Bad boots can end a hunt faster than the other equipment you mentioned. I say that from experience. Steep elk country can expose problems with boots that aren't apparent in flat areas.

Regarding your question on what's valuable for hunting equipment, I believe in the mountains, one of the most valuable pieces of gear you can carry, is also one of the cheapest.
Get, or make yourself a wind checker. Most use a plastic squeeze bottle of talcum powder. The winds of change blow all the time, and sometimes I literally hunt with this in my free hand, as sometimes the winds are pretty fickle.

Get a good pack that fits your body. And break in those boots before the hunt.

Because of a lack of funds, I'm going to have to do a backcountry public lands hunt on some of those units in Colorado that offer over-the-counter-tags

Welcome and good luck on your hunt. Public land hunting is very good. No need to spend money on paying for access.

Welcome - I too am new to elk hunting, been on a few hunts but this will be the first year we have a tag. I signed up for the elk hunting online course over at Elk101 and cant tell you how much knowledge I have gained from it. I think there are several discount codes floating around that may still apply. Good luck on your hunt!

I am new to elk hunting as well and previously had only really hunted whitetails in Wisconsin. I would buy a cow tag if you can get a hold of one. I think hunting a new species on new terrain is kind of like starting over. Sure there are some similarities between hunting elk and some of your previous hunts, but I found a lot more differences. Plus if you are hunting CO, a # of units have antler restrictions and for a guy coming from WI to hunt elk for the first time, I found it very frustrating to have to sit there and count 4 points (or 5'' brow) in order to pull the trigger. Had one crack at a bull where I just couldn't verify if he was legal or not.

As for equipment, I would say good boots and a good attitude. One thing I would absolutely change is how much exploring I did out there. I did not do enough. I should have been more aggressive, but that also means your fitness has to be pretty good. And you have to be prepared to hunt day after day. I am used to hunting whitetails on relatively flat terrain for maybe a few weekends in a row. It was an adjustment hunting day after day on a mountain for elk. Very fun, but some times the hiking can feel like work.

I'm a few seasons in and still learning something every time I go out, but the besides the things already mentioned I have a few things that I can't go without. Boots are a biggie, but the backpack is the best and worst thing you can come across. Get a good pack that can check off all of your needs/wants but the best I've found are the ones that can hold a bladder for a camel back. I highly suggest getting a pack that has a bladder or you get one of those handy little water filters that looks like pencil, can't remember the names or brands but a friend had one last year elk hunting and let me tell ya, I was super jealous. Good luck!

"J"

Everyone has given good advice so far on equipment. If you watch Professor Newburg and study at the Elk University you will learn all you need to know. The only items and suggestions I would add are the following:
1. Buy a diaphragm elk call, grunt tube and learn how to use them together and separate. Calling can make all the difference in the world.
2. Light weight game bags. BlackOvis Sacks, Tag Bags, or Caribou bags (can't remember the name).
3. Lean how to use Google Earth to do scouting. I have a large library of kmz files (One for each unit) that I have developed.
4. A good GPS (I have two). Learn how to transfer points from Google Earth to your GPS. When you get into the filed it is nice to know where those honey holes you found on google earth are.
5. Take some friends with you. Elk are big animals and going solo is not an easy feat.

Here is a video of the water filter system that I use:
[video=youtube_share;g6GQu5OdLMQ]https://youtu.be/g6GQu5OdLMQ[/video]

I have other videos on Youtube so check out my channel for more.

Good luck on your journey, HondoArcher

You'll probably get a lot of great advice here, and not from someone trying to sell you their product(s) too.
One item that is oh so valuable, and CHEAP, is a wind checker powder puffer. You can buy one or even make one if you know what I'm talking about.
Wind currents are very often fickle, and have spoiled many a Elk encounter. I've had many times I was moving in on Elk, only to have the wind shift. You should be the first to know about this, because if you're the 2nd, the Elk will be gone! Often, I hunt with this in my free hand as I am wanting to be aware of what's going on in this regard. Just buy some cheap, unscented talcum powder and you have plenty of powder to last you for a good long time.

Definitely go either sex, more options for success and cow elk is always delicious.

Gear for backcountry, my list would look like this.
1. Boots
2. Boots
3. Clothes (proper layering skin to shell)
4. Tent/shelter, the ability to escape the elements can be huge.
5. Pack, could be #4, but you arent guaranteed a pack out. If you were then it'd be higher.
6. Sleeping bag, a lower level bag can be compensated for with clothing and a tent.

Back