Elk hunting newbie in AZ

AH64DMatt

Quick Question... I moved to Tucson AZ this spring, missed the deadline for the Elk tags this year. I've never hunted elk, nor have I hunted in Arizona (did pick up an Archery Deer tag OTC this year, but missed the Rifle draw deadline by a day...guess I better tag one with the bow...).

Is it worth it to buy an OTC elk tag? Or, should I find someone who's hunting elk, and see if I can tag along to help with the hunt? I'm pretty handy outdoors, and am not afraid of a good bit of hard work...

I really want to fill the freezer with quality game meat, and having moved in the height of draw season, I am kicking myself.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Matt

The AZ guys will chime in on the OTC elk tags, but all I have heard is that they are tough. Now OTC archery mule deer is another story. When I am down there quail hunting in Jan/Feb, I see some really nice bucks in these OTC archery deer units.

I keep saying that some day I am going to leave the shotgun at home and bring my bow. Something about those little curly headed birds that I just cannot leave the shotgun behind.

If time allows, you are not too far from SW Colorado and they have OTC bull tags for the Second and Third rifle seasons. And they have a ton of elk.

Good luck.

Matt,

Welcome to AZ. Since you have your OTC archery deer tag, you can focus on that this August and Sept, but pay attention after the rifle deer draw, there will be leftover tags for coues whitetail in the southern AZ units, some very close to you. There are very good concentrations of deer down there (even though a lot of southern AZ is burning right now). Do some research on the units and do your best to obtain a left over tag for a rifle deer hunt for some meat in the freezer. That'd be your best bet, although a coues doesn't give a whole lot of meat! ;) Otherwise for deer, utilize your archery deer tag during the early season down south or head up to the mountains where it is cooler. Just be warned that the archery deer success in AZ is very low. December and January provides the best bet for archery deer, especially down south. The deer (mule and coues) are rutting then and the temps are nicer than August in the desert.

For elk, I'd take the AZ hunter education course asap to get your hunter ed bonus point. I'd also start researching units and figuring out where you'd like to go hunt elk and studying draw odds and hunt success numbers. There are several limited opportunity elk units that have great draw odds, but very low hunter success. If you're mainly after meat, possibly think about doing an archery or rifle cow elk hunt first to get some experience with elk. The draw odds are better and you are likely to get drawn quicker.

In regards to the OTC elk tags, I'd research those heavily before dropping any money on a tag. They've been hit pretty hard since they've introduced the OTC tags, and I've heard even the locals are having trouble finding elk now. The areas those elk are hanging out in aren't the most conducive to elk hunting, but I know of a few that have been pulled out of those units.

Good luck to you!

Ron

Ron pretty much hit everything on the head.

I would not buy those OTC tags! There's too much expense, time & headaches that go along with those areas. You are talking VERY limited & pressured elk! You can get it done, but I don't think it's worth it.

Arizona has lots of elk opportunity for residents just looking to fill the freezer. Several general cow hunts with 50% draw odds or above. There are also several Archery cow hunts with good draw odds. Realistically you can draw a tag every other year, if you are just looking to fill the freezer.

Quality bull hunts are higher in demand, so expect to wait a few years for these hunts & expect to wait a DECADE for the best hunts. It's just supply & demand.

The limited opportunity hunts are just that, but you can make a quality tag out of it if you are prepared to SCOUT & HUNT hard. It depends on the year, the feed, the other hunters & your willingness to out work the other guy.

Hopefully this helped...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back