MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk hunting in Unit 29 in Idaho

Daggieboy

Hey, guys....need some opinions on whether Unit 29 is a good area to bowhunt both elk and deer. I live in Western Washington state and my brother-in-law lives near Salmon. Any info would be appreciated.

Area 29

10 years ago it was great, I used to live there easy access lots of roads few hunters, now the elk are gone, north basin was awesome,

There are certainly places in there that can still be good, but like shoer says... it has changed A LOT in the last 6 years or so... it is one of the areas most effected by wolves that I know of, next to the Clearwater/St. Joe stuff...

SO..in other words, you probably have some better options.

The group I hunt with has had decent luck north of Salmon for 'regular' sized bulls. We've taken 7 bulls out in the three years I've hunted there. Where we hunt, they're there, but not standing out in the meadows too much. We've had the most luck getting them out of the timber.

Thats good to hear 1 Pointer... Last time I was in there my dad had the tag, 4 years ago, and we had a tough time finding elk consistently...but did get into them a few times... whereas, about 8-9 years ago we could get into "elk" at will...still didn't shoot bulls, but the hunt was a lot funner than 4 years ago...

Where I've hunted it can definitely be hit or miss. We usually hunt one place for the first 2-3 days and usually get an elk or three. However, that usually moves them completely out, so we move to an area a bit a way and have gotten into a few over that way.

Having grown up in Salmon I have pretty much hunted in every direction around that town. One of my favorite units was 29. You always had to draw for elk but back in the day you were almost guaranteed a tag. There used to be some huge mule deer in there as well. I was just starting out hunting when my dad took me in there(12-15 yrs. old) so I wasn't the most aggressive of hunters. Man I wish I could go back now and hunt the area as it was. I could of shot some of those big elk and deer. Having said that the area is now totally different. The hunting pressure and wolves have completely changed it. I don't even put in for that unit anymore.

Here are some picts. mostly of my dad and friends from the good ol days in 29. There are way better units to put in for now but these bring back good memories. These were all in the mid 80's to about 96.
img023.jpg

img040.jpg

img041.jpg

img042.jpg

WOW, Lawnboy's a Savage!!! ;) The phrase "Salmon Savages" is a bit of a running joke amongst the guys I've elk hunted with up there as one night the local football game was all we could get on the radio. The announcer had a bit of a lisp, so him saying Salmon Savages every few seconds got to be quite humorous.

Not sure how I got so backwards there, but I was actually talking about 21!!!!! Have spent some time in 29 though...wow, what a beautiful unit... Spend a little time in Hayden Creek Bart??

Cant say much about 29...only been in there about 2 years and that was 99/2000.. . there were some fricken Huge bulls wandering around in there!

Hornseeker, We actually had a camp in unit 21 every year. My dad knows that place like nobody. The whole area for that matter. Does help being a Forest Service biologist in that area for 13 years.

Lawn- If he worked for the USFS, I"m sure he knows about the 'Hermit' above Gibbonsville. Quite the character. If'n the draw gods don't see fit to give me any draw tags, I'm planning on being in some of that country come October!

I worked for the forest and hunted a bit just over the hill in Hughes Creek, on the MT side... unfortunately...I never met the hermit at Gibbonsville... :0)

Don't know Hughes Creek, but have spent a bit of time from the Divide and seen the sun rise over Wisdom. Love that country, just wish I could spend more time there.

My son is also a savage. my place was halfway between Tendoy and Lemhi. took a B&C lion on the the pack trail to the basin creek lakes

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back