elk hunting in montana

Good for you. Enjoy the planning phase. In my view, that can be almost as much fun as the hunt itself. If you can, try to spend a few days out there we’ll before the season, take a mini vacation if you will. Boots on the ground before your hunt will pay dividends for sure. One other thing, given that you are from GA, be prepared for any weather, especially the cold. It can get insanely cold in MT, even in late Oct. Last year was a good example of extreme cold during the opening weekend. Of course, it could also be sunny and 70, but better to be prepared for the worst 😉
So next year when I apply, do I apply for specific zones? Havent figured that part out yet. I will call and get specific details if someone at wild life will take the time to help me understand it. Such as 100, or 300 or does it need to be specific such as 102, or 306, that precise.

So next year when I apply, do I apply for specific zones? Havent figured that part out yet. I will call and get specific details if someone at wild life will take the time to help me understand it. Such as 100, or 300 or does it need to be specific such as 102, or 306, that precise.
You will likely apply for either a big game combo if you want to hunt deer and elk, or just an elk combo license if just elk. I’d go with the latter and just focus on one species. These options will give you a tag for the general units. Be sure to read the specific regs for the general unit that you are interested in though since the rules vary.
Spend some time on the Montana FWP hunt planner site, there you can get unit specific info and also see the maps, land ownership, game distribution etc.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back