Elk hunting arrows.

I want a lighter arrow for a little bit more speed, but I don't want to give up penetration. Last year I shot the Muzzy 4 blades and was not a big fan with how they flew. Will be switching to Slick Tricks this year. The total weight was around 400.

I wouldn't go lighter. My arrows were 427gr last year and I plain to be closer to 450 this year. My wife shoots 480gr at 235fps and it kills elk great. You are going the wrong way IMO the slower the bow the more important arrow weight is.

I shoot at 65# and use a 100 gr head. Will have to look into the kinetics!

You're right on the fence so I would opt for 340s if you go Kinetics or Nanos. Are you shooting 400 FMJs? If so I have you around 420gr. Kinetics aren't going to lighten you up much if any at all and like others have said, maybe go the other way. Those Kinetics I just built come in at roughly 520gr. I'm using the 75gr brass HIT and 125gr head for elk this year.

You're right on the fence so I would opt for 340s if you go Kinetics or Nanos. Are you shooting 400 FMJs? If so I have you around 420gr. Kinetics aren't going to lighten you up much if any at all and like others have said, maybe go the other way. Those Kinetics I just built come in at roughly 520gr. I'm using the 75gr brass HIT and 125gr head for elk this year.

Yes the 400. I see both sides for heavy and fast. I am looking at the carbon deep six injexions now. Still a lot of kenitic energy with speed and penetration. Any experience with these arrows?

What have been peoples general thoughts and feeling with the hidden insert systems out there and also some of the outsert systems on the newer, skinny arrows? Any durability problems with the hidden inserts and arrow damage or worries or issues with bending the outserts?

I wouldn't go lighter. My arrows were 427gr last year and I plain to be closer to 450 this year. My wife shoots 480gr at 235fps and it kills elk great. You are going the wrong way IMO the slower the bow the more important arrow weight is.

Spot on advice. For elk, go heavier instead of lighter and like elkmagnet said, the slower the bow/shorter draw you want to keep that weight up there even though it seems counterintuitive. I started with 401gr to 426 to recently built this winter 500gr (GT XT 300's, 50gr insert, 50gr weight). I killed elk with both previous setups, and there really wasn't anything wrong with 426@313fps. I was on the edge of being under-spined anyway and with a little boredom this off season I decided to go a little heavier.

I went from 313 to 290fps, bow/arrow is quieter and in both my block target and bag target am getting more penetration. I put my chrono out at 50 and the lighter arrow lost 7fps more than the heavier arrow did. Besides the elk I've shot I also hunt with my dad and son and have seen light/slow, heavy/slow, etc on elk. IMO a heavier arrow is superior in every way from penetration to noise. With rangefinders trajectory is no longer the big issue it once was.

Good luck, the fact your going elk hunting is a win and whatever arrow you choose will be just fine.

Get kinetic energy out of you head. You want momentum for penetration. My opinion of the 'sweet spot' for arrow weight out of a compound is 450-550 grains. anywhere in there should be a good balance of speed and momentum. Just my opinion though....

Just to food for thought,
Wife's bow currently has .500 of momentum. 235 480
You are getting somewhere around .452 with the numbers you threw up. 255 fps 400gr
That's a big difference.
Your bow has the potential to get up above .500 but I'd shoot for around .500 personally.

My questions were asked because going to a lighter arrow and adding weight to the front is what I thought you were wanting to do. That is exactly what I plan to do this year because with 31 3/4" arrows I have a lack of weight foc and want to improve penetration wherever possible for elk.

425-450 from 65# will be fine. If you're concerned about penetration look for a lower angle head than the tricks, along the lines of a thunderhead 125.

Spot on advice. For elk, go heavier instead of lighter and like elkmagnet said, the slower the bow/shorter draw you want to keep that weight up there even though it seems counterintuitive. I started with 401gr to 426 to recently built this winter 500gr (GT XT 300's, 50gr insert, 50gr weight). I killed elk with both previous setups, and there really wasn't anything wrong with 426@313fps. I was on the edge of being under-spined anyway and with a little boredom this off season I decided to go a little heavier.
I went from 313 to 290fps, bow/arrow is quieter and in both my block target and bag target am getting more penetration. I put my chrono out at 50 and the lighter arrow lost 7fps more than the heavier arrow did. Besides the elk I've shot I also hunt with my dad and son and have seen light/slow, heavy/slow, etc on elk. IMO a heavier arrow is superior in every way from penetration to noise. With rangefinders trajectory is no longer the big issue it once was.

Good luck, the fact your going elk hunting is a win and whatever arrow you choose will be just fine.

Definitely taking that advise into consideration! I just started really archery hunting elk a year ago, and I have completely fallen in love! Didn't come together for me last season, but I hope this season is different!

I'm looking to buy new arrows primarily for elk hunting. I shot the Easton FMJ arrow last year and am looking for an arrow a little less heavy. Some where in the 8.5 to 10 GPI. I shoot an Elite Energy 32 with a 27 inch arrow. I'm looking at the maxima hunters right now.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.
Thank you.

I also am 27" draw, I have found that the Easton FMJ 400 tune very well, shoot very well, and kill elk very well, no issue's with 3 bulls and 1 cow in the last 5 years. Shouldn't have too look any further with all these suggestion's, just make sure it's the right spine arrow and tuned well and you should be able too kill an elk, good luck,
Matt

Yes the 400. I see both sides for heavy and fast. I am looking at the carbon deep six injexions now. Still a lot of kenitic energy with speed and penetration. Any experience with these arrows?

I haven't had any experience with the deep six arrows, but have heard good things. I just stayed away because of the need for different heads. Personally, I like an arrow that hits hard. I have some GT Velocity arrows that I did a few years ago that really rip out of my rig. Very flat shooting, but they're really loud. They're prolly going about 30fps faster than my recent Kinetic build. Even though those Kinetics are noticeably quite slower, they're much more quiet and when they hit the target, they hit hard. I read recently someone saying to plan for the worst and that's sorta what going with a heavy arrow does IMO. If I make an errant shot I want to give myself the best chance to have a positive outcome and a 520 grain arrow with a razor sharp 2-blade head will hopefully do that for me. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I haven't had any experience with the deep six arrows, but have heard good things. I just stayed away because of the need for different heads. Personally, I like an arrow that hits hard. I have some GT Velocity arrows that I did a few years ago that really rip out of my rig. Very flat shooting, but they're really loud. They're prolly going about 30fps faster than my recent Kinetic build. Even though those Kinetics are noticeably quite slower, they're much more quiet and when they hit the target, they hit hard. I read recently someone saying to plan for the worst and that's sorta what going with a heavy arrow does IMO. If I make an errant shot I want to give myself the best chance to have a positive outcome and a 520 grain arrow with a razor sharp 2-blade head will hopefully do that for me. Just my 2 cents.

I too like have heard that. Great advice!

And if you don't believe MtnWest or elkmagnet then look up Dr Ed Ashby's writing on penetration on large body animals. It's a very in depth study and a hard read but well worth anyone's time that is at all worried about the need for speed game.
Enjoy your hunt.

I use the FMJs and personally I wouldn't switch, but if I really wanted a lighter arrow I'd go to the axis. In a 340 spine you'll drop about 45 grains in weight with a 27 inch arrow

Easton Axis N-fused with a 2 blade Rage 427 grs at 275fps. Has been a pass through on every Elk I point it at, from 12 out to 42 yards. Furthest blood trail was around 100 yards.

Good luck

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back