Elk Hunting Advice

huntin24/7

My friend and I are planning on trying to do a rifle elk hunt in western Montana this fall for the first time. I'm not looking for anyone to tell us where to go but would appreciate any advice/tips anyone might have. He's never elk hunted and my experience is limited to bowhunting the breaks a few times. Since we live in the far east part of the state, and with my wedding and honeymoon in august our scouting time will probably consist of looking at lots of maps and online research/phone calls with biologists and scouting and learning the area while we're hunting. Basically, what are some mistakes newbie elk hunters tend to make, what's should we look for when studying maps, and just any tips that might help. I'm sure the trip will be a learning experience but we'd like to be prepared as much as we can. We are in good shape anyways "by flatlander standards" so should be able to cover some ground. Thanks for any helpl.

I have found that the best way to learn about hunting the animal is to look at the biology of the animal no matter where you go. There have been lots of studies and per reviewed papers on the subject of elk movement and what not that have help greatly in the hunting trips of my friends and I in CO. Most public libraries have a subscription to the journals that the articles are in and you can search for info on elk online through those journals.

Find a place with alot of elk, then find the nastiest, hardest to get to place in that place. If you find Greenhorn sign, you kow your in the right place.

Ditch the rifles and buy a couple bows! Hunting during the peak rut would be my advice...and talk to Ridgehost about being burned by the FWP for being caught on private land. He is having a bad day from that one. If you still want to go rifle, go the first week or two of the season. Warmer temps and they may even be rutting late, they were this last season through the first week of rifle. Good luck and stay safe. You guys will have a blast.

Back