Caribou Gear

Elk hunt fiasco

I sure not am asking for sympathy ,the elk deserve more then I
- about guided hunt: they make a living doing this kind of stuff.
The issue here:
-why would a guide leave a wounded bedded animal?
( I do not understand my own decision not to stay ,no excuse, just overwhelm).

Folks
I was just following the so called expert ( never had a guide before and never went hunting for a elk I thought I would have learn something)
About the alcohol I did mentioned to him about his flavor (baileys) coffee @ 5 am
And yes I went looking for the animal for 2 days probably cover 10-15 miles following the existing trails without the guide, ask my daughter and her boyfriend.

You should have been the one that went to check on the wounded bull, ready to shoot it again. Don't understand why the guide would go check on the bull and leave you somewhere else? Very strange in my opinion.

Assuming Mr. Schreckenberg's first language isn't English I can understand the grammar....also an impediment to guide client interchange and hunting protocol second nature to many of us. Pure speculation on my part ....
Might be a good idea cut the derision at mention of a guided hunt also....

I sure not am asking for sympathy ,the elk deserve more then I
- about guided hunt: they make a living doing this kind of stuff.
The issue here:
-why would a guide leave a wounded bedded animal?
( I do not understand my own decision not to stay ,no excuse, just overwhelm).

Folks
I was just following the so called expert ( never had a guide before and never went hunting for a elk I thought I would have learn something)
About the alcohol I did mentioned to him about his flavor (baileys) coffee @ 5 am
And yes I went looking for the animal for 2 days probably cover 10-15 miles following the existing trails without the guide, ask my daughter and her boyfriend.
How far was the ranged shot?

Well......I'd probably sum it up as shit happens. If you put in a solid effort and covered 15 miles lookin for him then not much more you can do besides learn from it and don't trust guides that are drinking baileys at 5 a.m. when they're supposed to be getting in game mode.

Research your guide better BEFORE you book and send $

Never shoot because someone else thinks it is a good idea. NEVER

Once the shot is taken give 100% effort to finishing the job as quickly as is possible. If you fail analyse critically and learn from where it went awry, take steps to improve your skills be it tracking, shooting, or choosing a better morning coffee.

Don't let internet wilderness warriors bug ya. 'specially on here.

Back