Elk Heart burrito last night - Dead Easy

44hunter45

About a pound of elk heart, trimmed out to just muscle.
Bell pepper
Avocado
Fresh Limes
Olives
Cheddar cheese
Diced garden tomatoes
Warmed 10" flour tortillas
Secret Aardvark Drunken Jamaican Jerk Sauce

Various spices:
Milled Chipotle seed
Cumin
Coriander
Salt
Chili Powder

Cut meat into about 1/2" wide fajita strips. Lightly brown meat with spices to your taste. Turn to lowest heat and cover with Jerk Sauce. You want it to barely bubble. Cover pan. Monitor to prevent over-cooking.
Slice vegetables into separate bowls. Bell Pepper and Avocado done into longer spears.
Fine grate cheese.
Half limes for hand squeezing.
Set out sour cream.

Serve build-your-own burrito.

Thank you. It looks good!
It is!

I had a colossal failure cooking elk heart years ago. That resulted in me leaving far too many in the field. No more.

I'm going to try doing the liver next. I'm a little afraid of that. Neither Mrs45 nor me have good memories of liver while growing up.

I offered some of the burritos to our neighbor to try. She declined, saying she is, "...not a heart eater." She is a better elk hunter than I am. She says her family loves the kidneys. :sick:. I've always included the kidneys in my dog food grind when I get done processing.

Looks good. I tried heart for the first time a few years ago and I must say it has become my favorite. Makes me sick to think of how many I have left in the field. We cook ours like a back Strap. Marinade, little seasoning and grill to med rare. Crazy how tender it is.

Fresh or frozen heart?
Fresh frozen?

I tagged out on Aug 29th. I trimmed out the heart and liver the first night. I vacuum packed the liver and froze it. I put the heart meat in the fridge. As the meat processing stretched into a week of evenings after work, I wrapped the heart in cellophane and paper and froze it. It was in the freezer about 6 days.

I thawed it in a colander in the fridge to finish draining, like I do grind. It drained about a tablespoon of blood.

I don't know about you, but after I do my traditional tenderloins meal, I'm not all that hungry for meat while I'm doing the butchering.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back