Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk Down 57% in Idaho's Lolo Elk Zone; Wolf Impact Cited

noharleyyet

March 4, 2010.

From Idaho Fish and Game:

Recently completed aerial surveys show a marked decline in elk numbers in game management units 10 and 12, which comprise the Lolo Elk Management Zone.

Survey results indicate the elk population in the Lolo Zone has declined from 5,110 to 2,178, a 57-percent reduction since 2006. The greatest declines were observed in numbers of elk cows, calves and spike bulls. Overall, bull numbers were down zone-wide, with a shift in bulls to older animals.

"This survey, combined with ongoing research showing wolves are the primary cause of elk mortality today, is further scientific evidence of the impact wolves are having," Fish and Game Director Cal Groen said. "The rate of this decline in just four short years should help people understand there is an urgency to manage for a balance in this area."

Appropriate management options in response to this latest survey data are being explored.

Wolf predation is the major source of mortality on this elk herd and is affecting population size because too few calves are surviving to replace the adults that die each year. Predation is preventing recovery from a decline that began in the late 1980s and a steep decline following the severe winter of 1996-97.

This survey information corroborates ongoing research being conducted in the Lolo Zone that shows survival of radio-collared adult elk and six-month-old calves has been poor. Modeling efforts based on research survival data estimate declines of 11 to 15 percent annually.

Idaho Fish and Game's aerial surveys of most elk zones are conducted on a three- to five-year rotation. Surveys provide estimates of the size of the population as well as demographic data, such as numbers of elk cows, calves and bulls.

Decreased hunting opportunities are proposed for the Sawtooth zone as well for the same reason from what I heard last night at an archery club meeting.

What's really weird, is the wolf quota in those zones are still not filled. 38 wolves were killed in the Sawtooth zone though. Maybe the quota was too high to realistically meet it.

A friend went over there (Lolo zone) with a buddy earlier this month and killed a couple. Followed a pack for a week and never cut another boot track saw another hunter the entire week. Said they saw wolves everyday, and actually shot one of them from a drivable road.

My buddy counts the elk in those units! He said that there were no elk to count but they had a good flight. If he saw a bull then it usually was a pretty good one!! No young elk to replace the old one's though!! Very sad for sure!

I bowhunted Lolo in 2007, it was really lacking in elk at that time. Sorry to hear that it may not make sense for me to hunt there in the near future. Awesome area if there was more game!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back