Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk decoys

Andrewlonghi

Anyone use and or had good luck with elk decoys?. Would you use one on public land?

Thinking about getting one that mounts to my bow for this year but I am not sure yet. I've read good and bad on using one

I have thought about using one as well but I was talked out of it on another forum. If it was private property or a hard to draw limited people unit I might do public but make sure you have orange all over it!

Anyone use and or had good luck with elk decoys?. Would you use one on public land?

Thinking about getting one that mounts to my bow for this year but I am not sure yet. I've read good and bad on using one
Might be ok as long as it’s not a season that overlaps with muzzleloader. An archery hunter in Colorado was killed last year because a muzzleloader hunter was shooting at some color moving in the trees, I’m sure that same guy would have shot at a cow elk decoy attached to your bow.

I have a couple and use one occasionally, if the situation is right they can be amazing, however, they can also screw up a good situation, I don't try to use them in situations where there are more than one elk, almost without fail the wrong elk will see the decoy and come in way too hot, having a spike knock down your decoy and spook himself while the herd bull is on his way isn't great...same for spots where the bull can get too much of a look, they start getting suspicious pretty quick when the cow just stays put...
where I've had good luck is with spots where you can "flash" the elk with the decoy, decoy moves just enough to get attention and then disappears, works much better with the caller with a decoy, shooter to the side...
I'd avoid the decoy on the bow, in the right spot it could buy you a shot that would not happen otherwise but I'd bet it will screw up more chances than it generates.

Might be ok as long as it’s not a season that overlaps with muzzleloader. An archery hunter in Colorado was killed last year because a muzzleloader hunter was shooting at some color moving in the trees, I’m sure that same guy would have shot at a cow elk decoy attached to your bow.
That's one of the thing I was concerned about. I wont be in Salida until the 16th I think muzzleloader good out the 18th I'm bot sure. I may bring it with me just in case

Stay safe out there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back