Elk - Colorado GMU 9 and 191

TKDGuy

Hi all - I'm new to this forum and site, and glad I found it. Also new to hunting in general, this will by my second season.

I got elk tags for 2nd season rifle in gmu's 9 and 191. I also got mule deer tags same season for 9, 191 and 19.

I'll be scouting it later in July, because I haven't been up there. I applied in the area because my son will be going to school in Laramie, WY so its a place we can meet in between.

I am basically asking you all for your thoughts if you know the area. Is Cherokee SWA a good place to go for either or both elk and deer? Better areas? No elk there at all.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Not sure about 191. But 9 has 0% accessible public land. I got an Antelope doe tag here 2 years ago. (It was my first time applying/ hunting, i didnt know what i was doing or that “City of….” Lands marked by yellow just like BLM on OnX can’t be hunted 🤦. Lesson leaned.
for Antelope 191 accessible land hold virtually NO Antelope. So back to gmu9 I went in last few days of the season driving around, saw pronghorn on private, knocked on a door and asked for permission, amazingly owners said YES and i had Antelope down in 10 min. Home by lunch hour.
not sure how much Elk 191 holds, but good luck up there.

Last edited:
Back