Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk calls

NDMuley

Does anyone have any experience with calling in cow elk? Would like to know what is the best call to use. Thanks

I’ve had decent success with the Mellow Mama. Called three in with that over the past few yrs. Arrowed two of them and let the other walk because it was a young calf…had a milk mustache for sure😜.

Pretty easy to pull cows off herds with almost any mouth call using excited calf calls. You’re trying to act like a calf that’s fallen behind.

High pitched calf with a diaphragm… hoochie mama has pulled a few in too!

I am new to elk hunting is the hoochie momma a fool proof elk call? Seems hard to mess it up. Does it work good?

Got it. When your new you have to start some where!!!

Ok ok, its not the best method; the hoochie mama seems to get overused by a lot of elk hunters. Some people joke that elk get scared away by the hoochie mama since it is used all over the place.

I have bumped into other hunters while archery hunting they seem to get overly excited and go nuts on the hoochie mama when they hear a bugle. I would lean towards some more cautious calling to locate elk and sneak in closer with limited calling. Less is better unless you find an aggressive bull and you still don't want to overdue it.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard stories of people over using it but many of how it worked for them. I am going to pickup one for this years hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back