Elk Calls And Scent

Steve B

Question? Do I use my bugle to call in a bull or do I use a cow call. And is cow estrus scent any good for atracting a bull or should I not bother. I will be Hunting Sep 6 - Sep 13 during the rut. :rolleyes:
:(

Two answers... If the bulls are still alone and haven't gathered cows yet, they are still in the strut and bugle stage. The pecking order hasn't been established and they will probably respond better to a challenge than they will to a proposition.

Lots of tree raking and bugling. If they scream at you, scream back. If what you hear back sounds more like a territorial bugle, then just try not to sound bigger than the bull you hear.

If the bulls have gathered cows, a cow call will garner responses from smaller satelite bulls and the occassional herd boss who thinks he needs more girl friends. If you challenge him, chances are about 50-50 he will take the cows he already has and sneek away.

Sometimes, if you can get close enough to a herd bull without getting spotted then bugle, you can make them think there is another bull already trying to run off with his cows.

So play it by ear and see what the situation is when you get there.

I just noticed you will be hunting in AZ. What ever you do, find water. As dry as it is right now, if you find water, you will find elk.

good luck and tell us about it when you get back.

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-28-2002 11:18: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Steve:

DanR gave you some good pointers. Where are you going hunting? With a partner? What weapon? I live in Arizona too --- e-mail me if you want to talk in more depth > [email protected]

Lv2hnt

Good News and bad.
1. did not get drawn for arizona. (thATS THE BAD NEWS)
2. gOING TO iDAHO UNIT 21 AND 21A (THATS THE GOOD NEWS)
although a guy i work with got a bull tag for 5b south. (lucky dog) :eek:

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back