Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

I've also been shooting the Barnes 150gr in my .308 Win. The have been shooting great! I was wondering what limits you put on your shooting distance for elk with the .308 win.
Usually I try to keep all shots under 300 yards, but my longest on elk with the load mentioned above was at just under 500 yards. Absolute still morning with rock solid rest allowed for the longer shot. The bull took four steps, stood for five or six seconds and just dropped. Barnes 150 clipped liver on front side, passed through center of lung on the far side and exited just behind far side front leg. Didn't find bullet, but wound channel and exit hole indicated good expansion.

I will be using a tikka 270 wsm and Barnes tsx bullet. The rifle is 14 years old and I changed ammo from accubonds due to using all my reloads and not finding 140 gr bullets in stock the past couple years.

300wm eldx. I did notice that the 212 grain are harder to find off the shelf. They’re now mostly 200gr

I've also been shooting the Barnes 150gr in my .308 Win. The have been shooting great! I was wondering what limits you put on your shooting distance for elk with the .308 win.
That depends a lot on your bullet. I would not use a copper bullet at extended range. Bullet selection is everything - head stamps mean little in comparision.

500 is it for me and my 308 - but thats assuming a lot of near perfect conditions.

7mm-08 for me. I keep looking at other calibers and just can't find any reason to change. It's just really hard to choose more recoil and more expensive components for a marginal-at-best increase in performance.

TBD whether I can work up a handload that will convince me not to hunt with the Nosler 140gr E-tip factory ammo. My rifle loves that stuff.

Gonna give the Sako Hammerheads a try out of my 7RM first I think. They seem like they would have some knockdown power.

I like my 7mm mag tikka. I run nosler accubond 160grain for Elk, flies flat, manageable recoil, haven't had trouble finding them online or in-store.

This isn't Ryan Avery, you can tell cause his username isn't 'I AM RYAN AVERY I'M AVERY BIG DEAL'
Lol man this ryan guy really got your goat ? Oh well. Refreshing to see someone besides cammy get love disguised as hate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back