Elk Burger

I leave mine 100% elk. Going for super lean burger as my family has history of heart problems.

my butcher recommended the pork so I went with that on our elk...had always used beef on our whitetails tho

zero addition of fat, just elk in my burger. Lean and requires a little extra care when cooking but great stuff without the extra fat.

As I understand it, it is the fat that degrades fastest in frozen meat so maybe I get a little more shelf life...

100% elk...no salt til cooking is complete. Anything but salt and pepper for seasoning is blasphemy.

I tried bacon last year, but the bacon flavor really overpowered the elk flavor. I've also heard that pork will go bad in the freezer relatively quickly.

I'm not sure how quickly you guys are having freezerburn problems? I always am out of elk meat by the time the next season comes around, and I have never come close to having it go bad. I've got exactly three packages of elk burger left to get me through to elk season in two weeks.

I double wrap mine (Saran wrap then freezer paper). I've never had a problem with freezer burn, but I rarely have anything make it much longer than a year before getting tossed on the grill. It also keeps from cooking the meat while defrosting in the microwave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back