Caribou Gear

Elk burger tips

Elk is delicious as is, needs no fat added. when cooking in addition to any spices I decide to add to the meat I might add some amount of egg and some amount of breadcrumbs or Panko crumbs if I want some sort of a binder but if I cook them with a little bit of care mine haven’t fallen apart amd are delicious, with a lot less fat content.

Last edited:
We triple grind all venison. Usually add ~15% weight of fatty pork...either pork butts or picnic roast or pork loin if it has a good fat cap. Basically whatever is cheapest and on sale.

I just grind straight venison - and freeze that. I will mix in fat at different times depending on what I am making (burgers, sausage, jerky, etc). I've found that not adding fat or beef / pork trim, etc helps keep the meat longer in the freezer as fat is usually the first thing to turn.

I'll get pork fat from a butcher, grind it and then freeze it separate. If I want to add it in to a specific recipe - I'll thaw the burger and the fat and then mix it in on the fly.

I usually grind in a 3lb package of bacon ends and pieces to about 10lbs of meat. So I probably end up with about 20-25% fat content. (y) I think there's nothing worse than dry, tasteless, crumbly burger patties that don't stick together. 🤮

Thank you all very much. Made a bunch a burger this week. Went about 8-10% beef fat. Turned out great. Great full to have this resource.

I do 15% beef fat. Without fat they fall apart on the grill. Pan frying is not as bad for falling apart. I do not have high cholesterol so bring on the fat!

I'm amazed that guys have burger in the freezer long enough to notice the difference between beef and pork fat. My burger and sausage is gone quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back