Elk Bullets

Thank you for all the replies, you have been very helpful! We will be buying factory ammo. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to put them to good use this fall, I'm getting excited!

One advantage to Partitions is that they perform well at lower velocities, also. Some of the all-copper bullets can be problematic at lower velocities in the .308 range once the distanced stretches a little.

Hey Cushman - What kind of on game performance have you had with the SST on elk? Caliber and range. I'm wanting to use the SST out of my .338 at 400+ yards. Thanks.

Hey Cushman - What kind of on game performance have you had with the SST on elk? Caliber and range. I'm wanting to use the SST out of my .338 at 400+ yards. Thanks.

30-06..180 grain SST...shot her in the neck into her spine...325 yards...when we dug the bullet out it still weighed 176 grains..dropped her dead. Shot a mule deer at 250 yards and he went about 5 steps and dropped...went through both scapulas and blew out his lungs. The 180 grain bullets have a good BC and they fly well at distance. My buddy worked up a load with superformance powder with them at damned near 300 WIN Mag ballistics and I'd have no problem shooting them out to 400 +...I do alot of practicing out that far and am confident in my ability

300 win mag 155 Berger are lite. But have dropped 3 elk the last three years in a row
I use no other bullets any longer

Berger bullets

300 win mag 155 Berger are lite. But have dropped 3 elk the last three years in a row
I use no other bullets any longer

Berger

300 mag with 155 Berger. At 3200 fps. Last 3 elk dropped
Will not use any other bullet. Good luck

168 Berger, 160 Accubond, and 150 TSX for my two 7mm's. 140 Accubonds for my boys .270 and .280. 110 Accubond for my 25-06. 100 gr Partitions for my .243.

All fly and perform well, including on game up to elk.

In my hands 7mm's regularly are sub milk jug out to 750 at the practice range. Sub water-bottle in field positions to 600 yards regularly. I shoot 150+/- rounds a year practicing.

Why would I limit myself to 400 yards on an elk if I can hit a 16oz water bottle at that distance 80% of the time in the same conditions? PS Guns are better than this, not me.

I would stick to Accubonds and TSX, as they are much easier to expect to shoot well from your gun in factory loadings, which are numerous.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back