Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Bullet

ARCAT

I like what I'm hearing about the 209 powder. I think I'll give it a try. What do you think about Bullets for Elk. I have always been partial to Powerbelts for elk but have heard from several sources they are not ideal for elk. What do you suggest? This Utah tag is a one time deal for me and I need to make it count.

No Excuses Bullets

PB are good for deer, but I wouldn't use them on larger animals. Shooting a muzz, don't get wrapped up in speed for flatter trajectory, get wrapped up in what they're designed for... slinging big ass pieces of lead to make big ass holes. You just have to hold a little higher with the heavier bullets.

I'm hoping to slip 460grs into a moose this September.

T/C Triumph, 50 cal. never heard of no excuses bullets. I'll look them up. If they will take down a moose I feel good about them for elk. The barnes look good also.

Arcat,

I missed your news, what tag did you draw?

As far as what projectile, I do like Hornady's Great Plains Bullet. It's accurate in both my muzzys.

The No Excused bullet is excellent from what I've heard, but I've yet to try it.

Best of luck!

T/C Triumph, 50 cal. never heard of no excuses bullets. I'll look them up. If they will take down a moose I feel good about them for elk. The barnes look good also.

Your riflle probably won't shoot the NE very well, but it would be worth a try. I'm guessing it will shot sabots well though. I've not tried the Barnes, but have not heard anythng bad about them.

I think the bore on all T/C's are counter sunk for easier loading, it messes up accuracy with conicals, but seems to have no effect with sabots. I have a Traditions with a similar set up, doesn't shoot big heavy's well at all.

Both my Knights shoot the NE as well as I can shoot.

I would be partial to the Barnes T-EZ sabot bullets in 250 and 290 grains. I would check out the information on Barnes web site and the articles at Randy Wakeman Outdoors. I would check with T/C for the maximum recommended loads. I don't know if they have recommendations for BH209. Most manufacturers don't recommend loads larger than 100 grains black powder equivalent, but I know that some hunters shoot 150 grains BP equivalent, in Triple 7. In general, chamber pressure rises with bullet weight, for the same powder charge. As a result, heavier bullets will require smaller powder charges and will be lower velocity than lighter bullets. I've got some Hornady .458 Cal. 325 gr. FTX bullets and some MMP sabots that I have yet to try out. I really like the T-EZ, so I don't know if I will try the heavier lead bullets. Most of my shots come at relatively close range, like 50 yards or less, so long range performance is less of an issue. I did shoot a 250 gr. T-EZ through three sheets of 3/4" plywood at 100 yards with 80 grains BP equivalent of BH209 (56 grains by weight). This pretty much silenced the skeptics.

Thanks for all the info. I got some of the barnes in 290 grain. I ordered some BH209 but for now will go with the 777 I have used in the past. I'll shoot them this weekend and report back. T-bone, I'm excited but trying to remain low key. Its a DIY hunt...just trying to keep expectations under control. I surely don't expect to shoot anything as huge as Bambistew did in CO several years ago!

Last edited:
110 gr BH209 and Barnes TEZ 290 in my TC/Triumph. 1.5" groups and 100yds and 2/2 on elk the last 2 years in New Mexico. Going for 3/3 this year.

Attachments

• P1000630.jpg
    P1000630.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,936
  • P1020201.jpg
    P1020201.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,070
Now that is funny. T bone is still the man. And Kowlaski thats a heck of a nice bull. I hope to do that well.

THE best full bore elk bullet you can get! 250 or 300gr Ballistic Tip Thor.
DSCN2750.jpg

DSCN2833.jpg

Do yourself a favor and skip the PB's. Plenty of info out there talking about poor results with big animals.

Check out the Cabelas reviews if you are in doubt.

Yeah X2, skip the PB!!!! Total junk, when the lead flattens dramatically just by dropping it, imagine what it does when it hits an elk rib bone? Id say it depends on where you hunt, and the regs you must abide by when it comes to what the best bullet is. That being said, its also important to place accuracy at the top of the list. Some guns just dont agree with certain bullets/sabots. I only hunt in CO for ML elk, and i usually use a 54cal roundballer, ive seen elk downed with Harvester Sabertooth 300/350gr, Hornady FPB/ Great Plains, T/C Maxiball, and of course roundballs!!!

Yep mnbearbaiter is right skip the PBs, no penetration on elk. I shot an elk 4 times with them and retieved the lead in the elk. They didn't penetrate at all.

Barnes TZ 250 in front of 100 granes of 777 is what works for me. Seen 2 large AZ. bulls shot with this combo and both went less then 50 yards and the bullets were found against the hide, perfectly expanded and could have been used in a Barnes Commercial. Same results from my rifles with the tipped triple shocks, love Barnes bullets. ( and no I dont work for them, just impressed with the results )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back