Elk Bedding Question

Ben Sellers

I have a question about bedding elk in rimrock country. In the middle of the day, is it common for elk to bed high up with the cliff above them so that the thermals are coming up and nothing can come from behind? Or do the dislike this since it limits their escape options?

In my experience, bull elk love bedding under rim rock cliffs (from Montana to Arizona).

Check out one of the early OYOA episodes where Randy shoots an elk at 2 yards that's bedded right at the base of a rocky outcrop. Pretty sweet!

I need to rewatch shows with the intent of trying to see why are the elk right there and what is the elk doing. May be hard to do with the way some shows are edited.

May be hard to do with the way some shows are edited.
Watching Randys day by day really helps with the educational aspects of his content. Cause your right, the edited footage can be hard to get the whole scenario and even sometimes the footage you see isn't actually in chronological order. I can't state 100 percent for sure on that last comment with Randys show but others it for sure is.

I don't think they have much in the way of forethought and planning but they do seem to like a view. I caught them one time bedded in a nasty little culdesac. When I shot one the rest ran into a pocket with no escape. There were 15 in the herd and they walked past me one by one as they built up courage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back