Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk (almost) Muzzle Loader info

Gunner46

A few of us Florida Swamp Rats are trying to get drawn for a lottery Sambar Deer hunt. Bow or Muzzle loader only.

Sambar are a tad smaller than our Elk, but not by much. I'm looking for some input on 50 cal loads. Currently, I'm shooting 100 gr of American Pioneer Powder sticks, 300 gr 45 cal sabot XTR's and primed with 209's on the backside. I can go up to 150 gr if needed.

Accuracy is..Ho-Hum... but sufficient inside 50 yds.

Considering where we will be hunting, I don't expect a shot any farther than 100 yds. at the absolute max, probably half that. I have the summer to play with loads, so in yall's wealth of experience, I seek humble guidence.

Don't know about sambar but on elk go for the gusto.Penetration is what you want.I would max out a heave bullet with the most powder it would shoot accurately.Forget sabots.go for the big hole,and more weight.I have seen a few hollow points fail to penetrate very deep.

I never heard of american pioneer powder sticks, I use Tripple 7 ffg, and power belts 50 cal 295 grain, they fly out great and easy to load and are a 50 cal diam bullet,but they are hollow point. but they do a good job on elk up to around the 100 yrd mark.

I used the 348 gr Powerbelts with 130 gr of Pyrodex pellets. I want to try the Triple 7, as it is supposed to be even easier to clean. We found that accuracy suffered at 150 gr of powder, so we used 2-50gr pellets and 1 30-gr pellet. The 348 Powerbelt gave complete penetration on a big 5x5, quartering away - behind the shoulder and through the offside shoulder.

The tripple 7 ffg, is the stuff, cleans way easy compared to pyrodox pelets. also lights up fast. remember also it is a little more potent that pyrodex, so if 130 grains was ggod for you try 120 grains of tripple 7. I use 100 grains works good, and accurate as heck, I do keep shots at elk under 150 yards "max". and at this range I would only take a good shot oprotunity. I use a range finder if distance is questionable. power- belts are awsome.

The tripple 7 ffg, is the stuff, cleans way easy compared to pyrodox pelets. also lights up fast. remember also it is a little more potent that pyrodex, so if 130 grains was ggod for you try 120 grains of tripple 7. I use 100 grains works good, and accurate as heck, I do keep shots at elk under 150 yards "max". and at this range I would only take a good shot oprotunity. I use a range finder if distance is questionable. power- belts are awsome.

hey I know I boned up adding my reply in 3 times but when I went to hit,add reply nothing happened, so I spanked it again and again. Do I get a sign ?

I tried triple 7 didn't shoot well in my gun.I shoot Clean Shot and it seams to be more consistent and leaves a lot less residue than pyrodex.

Back