Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk 2020

NDMuley

Looking a little help from all the walk guys. If you had 3 weeks to spend in elk country with a OTC tag what state would you suggest? I am thinking of taking 3 weeks off and hitting the mountains in mid September and trying to harvest a elk. Any help is appreciated.

Montana..... close to home for us and longest seasons. Im taking all of sept off this year.

Last edited:
With three weeks and the time frame your looking at. You should be able to kill an animal in any state that gives you a tag" assuming you research your hunt areas". Most any general tag in any state that offers tags will work.
I know it's kind of a vague answer, but 3 weeks is a lot of time to hunt and figure out where the elk are.
Somethings you didn't mention, how good of shape are you in, rifle or bow, backpacking, car camping or hotel. Guided or unguided. What's your budget.

Montana..... close to home for us and longest seasons. Im taking all of sept off this year.

Montana is not OTC. If he has multiple preference points I would agree with you and recommend that route.

Idaho or Colorado. For Idaho you would have to commit fast once tags are available because the nonresident tag quota fills up quick. They did raise their price but is an awesome state to hunt. I say Colorado as well because i've always wanted to hunt elk there. Maybe one day

ill be back in Idaho for 2 weeks in 2020 so Idaho gets my vote

Montana is not OTC. If he has multiple preference points I would agree with you and recommend that route.
Yes, but no need for multiple points... always has a chance at drawing with none. Worse case jump over to ID. But i would def apply for MT before any other. Sorry for not being clear.

Just a little more information. At the moment fair shape. Starting to work on that now. I would be looking to bow hunt and camp out with a day here and there in a motel to shower and sleep in a decent bed. Not looking at a guided hunt. Want to DIY. Budget wise not looking to spend a lot just what's needed to make the trip go smoothly. Thanks for all the replies so far.

I’m new to this forum and had the same question, so I appreciate the replies as well.

Back