Yeti GOBOX Collection

Electronic vs. traditional calls

thatsjet

Okay kids, i'm looking at taking my first trip out to shoot some dogg-o's. I have a rabbit call and a howler, but lots of the videos I see folks are using the FoxPro electronic call.

So my question: do I need to invest in an electronic call or am I at least a chance at success with blowing on these yappers?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm an old fart and new to hunting so be gentle. Assholes need not respond.

I traditionally just used mouth calls but the dogs here have seemed to catch on, just recently ordered (now back ordered🤬) an electronic plus decoy. Will see how it goes but anxious to be able to do multiple levels calls simultaneously. You also might pm @brockel as he’s been doing well on the dogs this year.

I really like my primos alpha dog e caller. A little cheaper than foxpro. doesn't break the bank and brings in the yotes.

I though

I thought decoys weren't allowed in commie-land (aka Ore-e-gun).

Well you’re right that ODFW regs are typically a “tad” confusing but yes you CAN use a deke for coyotes in OR as they are not a big game species. They also can be hunted at night if you’re the landowner or an agent of. Can’t use them just for “predators” as cougars are classified as big game and they don’t allow a decoy for that even if it is just static or wind powered. Good luck, lots of dogs this way (Prineville) but again they are getting call shy with the amount of folks out in the sage this year!

Electronic calls are way to go! I started with a Alphadog and have a foxpro cs24 now and its somuch fun. You need lots of country and is great excuse to spend more times learning new land.

Well you’re right that ODFW regs are typically a “tad” confusing but yes you CAN use a deke for coyotes in OR as they are not a big game species. They also can be hunted at night if you’re the landowner or an agent of. Can’t use them just for “predators” as cougars are classified as big game and they don’t allow a decoy for that even if it is just static or wind powered. Good luck, lots of dogs this way (Prineville) but again they are getting call shy with the amount of folks out in the sage this year!
Thanks Marv! I went and read back through the regs and you are correct. Also no 5 round mag limit. I've got an AR I've been setting up for yote hunting and I'm excited to get out there and try. My plan is to hunt yotes as often as I can where I hunt elk/deer to do my part at least to protect the tasty ungulate population.

I always pack both. My electronic call always stops working when its really cold so I switch to mouth calls. That's normally the time I start getting cold so it kind of warms me up anyway...

Edit: NEVER rely solely on e-calls... you never know when it will fail or when you'll forget your remote, run out of batteries, etc. Bad mouth calling is still better than no calling when it comes to coyote hunting.

I prefer the electric calls myself I’ve had a lot better luck with them plus I like to be able to have several different sound options to go with to find what works best

Good luck @thatsjet you’ll be doing all the fawn crop a favor as well as the bird populations! I’m out of practice but def still enjoy getting out. I went to a “weigh in” over in Harney county years ago when they still had their calling contests. Amazing how many some of those guys could bring in!

I always pack both. My electronic call always stops working when its really cold so I switch to mouth calls. That's normally the time I start getting cold so it kind of warms me up anyway...

Edit: NEVER rely solely on e-calls... you never know when it will fail or when you'll forget your remote, run out of batteries, etc. Bad mouth calling is still better than no calling when it comes to coyote hunting.
100%. I couldn’t agree more. I switched solely to mouth calls due to e-callers failing on me too much. E-callers are nice but I like the satisfaction of calling it in myself, not just turning on a call and waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back