Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

ELDx

Moose 360

Anyone load 178 ELDX for the 300 Win Mag? Looking for a good starter load I can work up for the Tika. Thanks in advance!

Anyone load 178 ELDX for the 300 Win Mag? Looking for a good starter load I can work up for the Tika. Thanks in advance!
ELDX bullets excellent accuracy but the jackets are soft. 200gr in 300 WM and 230gr in 338 WM. Used them on moose went back to Swift A Frames and Accubonds.
Had better results with Plain Interlock bullets than ELDX on game.

I also had a bad experience with them on a deer but it was partially my fault for not having a better understanding of the bullet. It has that soft jacket so you still get proper expansion at longer range/lower velocity. Up close they will definitely make a mess, they were extremely accurate in both rifles I shot them in though

I also had a bad experience with them on a deer but it was partially my fault for not having a better understanding of the bullet. It has that soft jacket so you still get proper expansion at longer range/lower velocity. Up close they will definitely make a mess, they were extremely accurate in both rifles I shot them in though
If they would bond the bullet they would have something
Too me the best thing with ELDX is the tips they are very consistent on bullet length. Hornady done a good job on heat resistant tip.

Last edited:
If they would bond the bullet they would have something
It would definitely help but the lead composition is softer for lower velocity impacts. Buddy insists on these and I been part of 3 elk kills every one was an absolute mess. For antelope this year I told him if he wants to bring any home he needs to switch bullets.

Swift A Frame from moose 300 yard shot length wise lodged under skin on rear hip.
The only bullet I have ever recovered from moose 225gr and retain weight 99.3% from 338 RUM.

Attachments

• 3AD7A8A5-1520-4AC0-BC47-B81FCE2EC596.jpeg
    3AD7A8A5-1520-4AC0-BC47-B81FCE2EC596.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 659D40DC-5FF9-458F-815C-CEC688EB1011.jpeg
    659D40DC-5FF9-458F-815C-CEC688EB1011.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I’ve killed 3 elk and a bear with the eld-x. They are an explosive bullet but with proper shot placement, I’ve never been overly disappointed with waste. All shots within 250 yards, in fact, 3 within 100. I’ve just been very pleased with the accuracy and all four were one shot and done. Nothing went over 30-40 yards after being hit. I’m still intrigued with copper monos though and will probably switch it up once I have the time to experiment some.

Back