Caribou Gear

Elaborate on boar or sow please

Iowaguy

Ok...being an Iowan and having never seen a bear in the wild...what are some general guidelines to tell boar from sow and age? I know this question was asked in a previous thread, but no one has really given a solid explanation on telling between the two or aging.

A boar will typically walk in like he owns the pace. He will have bigger (wrists) thicker front legs legs from the paws up. They tend in my opinion to walk with a more stagger or sway from the front looking on ( just my opinion) and look more bull legged. The shoulders will be wider but all this is still hard to tell sometimes because of age. A older mature sow can have these characteristics too. I am by far an expert but so far I have been fortunate and was right both times in my hunts.

Boars have short looking snouts and blocky heads, they have bulky front shoulders, they walk with a swagger and they are the only bears that get really big so I just avoid shooting small or medium size bears and have never killed a sow.

Ok...being an Iowan and having never seen a bear in the wild...what are some general guidelines to tell boar from sow and age? I know this question was asked in a previous thread, but no one has really given a solid explanation on telling between the two or aging.
The Wyoming F&G Dept. offers an online video to help hunters in distinguishing between male and female black bears. However, "gender cannot always be determined easily or with certainty while in the field." The most accurate and only practical way to determine the age of a black bear is to count the rings in a cross section of a tooth using a microscope. Age cannot be determined from observations in the field. The answer to your question is simply that there is no "solid explanation" or 'practical' "general guidelines" in determining sex and age of black bears from observation while hunting them.

Back