EF2’s 2020 Fall Hunt

Doc says no heavy exertion and no remote solo travel until I see a cardiologist. Also have an echocardiogram scheduled. They want me to see the cardiologist Monday - which is (was?) Day 1 of my pronghorn hunt. Grr... I don’t get to pick when life happens. Lots of tough decisions to make in the next few days.

Friday night duck scouting - just 4 woodies on 6 ponds. Thought it would be slim pickings come morning.

Saturday picked a secluded public pond I hunted last year with no company. Had 100 ducks come through in 30 mins. So fun to watch! Shot 3 times and then just enjoyed the show. I ended up missing one, but wanted to be sure once it got brighter. I stalked the coot on another pond later in the AM. After 3 really crappy days of heart problems, I feel good today and thankful to be out hunting public lands.

DAC986B5-8109-47B7-A476-51025A60A487.jpeg

Spent the late morning and early afternoon glassing several ponds and oxbows, and walking a few ditches. Nothing there. The very last pond I glassed a drake mallard from 250 yards. An easy ambush if I hiked back to my truck, drove 1/2 mile, then came up behind him from an embankment. I hurried it hoping he’d still be there after all that time, and also that another hunter wouldn’t see him too and move in. The final 15 yard approach I slowed to a crawl to avoid spooking the duck, but he was gone when I popped over the top. What I did find was some guy dressed in bright blue tromping down to the pond with a fishing pole 😅 If I had made it about 3 mins earlier I probably would have had it.

Feeling very blessed this morning to be nearly 48 hours with no major heart problems. I am starting to think that the heart problems were stress-induced. The situation began a couple of months ago when numerous people I know well are in settings where they are not only at extremely high risk of contracting COVID, but are very medically vulnerable as well. It’s like a ax hanging that can fall at any time, and when/if it does it will be hard to witness. Then 8 weeks ago the Derecho damaged my home and it’s been many headaches, a time vacuum, the stress of repair projects not going as planned and having to miss a lot of scouting and hunting. Two weeks ago 2 coworkers I work closely with were fired, and a 3rd was allowed to stay but with major restrictions. I did nothing wrong personally, but it’s a little unsettling to see all the carnage close by.

I talked with my mom and my wife on the phone yesterday on the drive to WY and I think it’s no coincidence I’m feeling well after a day of waterfowl hunting and an upcoming week of antelope and elk hunting, and I can forget about work and home repairs for a minute. Experiencing beautiful public land, and hunting are my best medicine (I’ll still see the cardiologist next week).

I was up to 12:30 last night and up at 4 today. I’m worse than a kid before Christmas morning. Had my first taste of antelope last night and I love it - sweet, mild, tender, light, and sagey. Fried steaks crispy and bloody in the middle.

I can’t believe I have all day to go chase antelope bucks. I’m on cloud 9.

Some locals drive up, “Hey, where did you park?”

At the walk-in entrance?! “Way up on top of the hill.”

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back