Caribou Gear Tarp

Edited...casper not gillette

Hilljackoutlaw

Gonna be in Gillette in a couple weeks for atleast 7 days. Questions I have
1. Best places to eat?
2. What attractions should I see?
3. Is there any nice drives I can take and see some wintering wildlife?
4. Is a cowboy hat and boots required to be let into the city?

1. Gillette has a rib and chop house now, which is awesome for a town that used to have Perkins and Applebee’s.
2. I can’t really think of any attractions to visit, at least in March.
3. Depends on what’s close. You’ll see deer and antelope everywhere. They’re more spread out around there, no big wintering concentrations. The Bighorns are worth your time if that’s close enough and you want to see elk and moose.
4. Either a cowboy hat and boots or a wife beater, backwards flat brim, and neck tattoos.

1. Gillette has a rib and chop house now, which is awesome for a town that used to have Perkins and Applebee’s.
2. I can’t really think of any attractions to visit, at least in March.
3. Depends on what’s close. You’ll see deer and antelope everywhere. They’re more spread out around there, no big wintering concentrations. The Bighorns are worth your time if that’s close enough and you want to see elk and moose.
4. Either a cowboy hat and boots or a wife beater, backwards flat brim, and neck tattoos.

Never been to Gillette aside from driving through so I'm of no use there, but I totally agree with the bolded.

1. Pokeys BBQ is really good, the nachos were great. Los Compardres is my go to for Mexican.
2. The Rockpile Museum has some great frontier and local history in it. The name is because of the pile out front. I think the first archery antelope ever taken is also there.
If you have the time, an hour or so east is Rapid City, the Black hills, and Rushmore. If you go an hour or so west you get to Buffalo, which is what Longmire was modeled after. There is also the Occidental Hotel which has my favorite western bar. TR, Wister, Hemingway, and other big names favorited the place.
3. A drive out to Keyhole Reservoir might net mule deer and antelope and maybe migrating waterfowl. Otherwise, not much that way.
4. Blue jeans are the uniform of the day.

Gonna be in Gillette in a couple weeks for atleast 7 days. Questions I have
1. Best places to eat?
2. What attractions should I see?
3. Is there any nice drives I can take and see some wintering wildlife?
4. Is a cowboy hat and boots required to be let into the city?
1. Wherever you park you car and eat the food you brought from somewhere else.
2. Attractions? You're in Gillette
3. Back to where you came
4. Stained jeans, stained carhart coat, and a worn trucker hat. But they'll still give you the stink eye.

Agreed with others on Devil’s Tower. Nearby Hulett has a pretty good East Coast style deli.

Hell of a golf course in Hulett. Plus the tower
Attractions, and Gillette are an oxymoron. Unless you want to see a big coal mine.
Don't dress like a dude. Season's not till they show up in the summer.

I used to go there for work a lot. Nothing great to eat and nothing great to see in town.

However, Devil’s Tower is worth the drive IMO.

Gillette is a mining town where much of the city is mobile home developments. There are a few restaraunts and fast food places but it's not really a great tourist attraction. They do have some descent stores in town to check out. My wife used to live there but I only have been there a few times during hunting season and while I was a state employee picking up records for the State Archives. I would refer to previous responses to your post for places to visit. I don't think I can add much more to it. My favorite place to eat in Gillete when I hunted that area? KFC LOL

Back