MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

economy priced hunting rifle

Rooster52

I own several rifles in several calibers ,but I want to give a big thumbs up for the Ruger American in 7mm08. First 7mm08 I have owned and am really impressed with this rifle /caliber combination.Best rifle for the money that I have ever owned. Shoots anything you feed it with good accuracy. Topped with a new Leupold VXI it is all I would need for any game animal I will be hunting.

I've heard good things about them too Rooster. How would you compare it to a Remington 700? I want to get me wife a .308. She is currently shooting a .243 and I want her to have something with a little more knock down.

Last edited:
I won my Ruger American at a RMEF Raffle. I got it in a .243 and love the rifle so much that I looking to buy a 2nd for my daughter. She is only 3 years old, but you know what I mean .

Yep, Ruger knocked one out of the ball park with the RA.

(S. Elk, no need to go beyond a 7-08. I mean there is really no need......)

I've heard good things about them too Rooster. How would you compare it to a Remington 700? I want to get me wife a .308. She is currently shooting a .243 and I want her to have something with a little more know down.
I had a Remington 700 BDL in 308,accurate with 150 grain accubonds over 45 grains of RL15 ,but the Ruger cost a lot less and is every bit as accurate and I prefer the the lower recoil of the 7mm08.140 -150 grain 7mm08 will take most north American game animals,other than maybe big bears, with authority.

I have always been a 7 mag fan, but I broke down and bought a RA in .308. It has a Super Sniper 6x on it and it holds 1/2 MOA as far as I am competent to use it. It is about my favorite rifle for deer right now, but I like my Savage .308, too! If I had it to do over again, I would only own .308-based cartridges- .308, 7-08 and .260 Remington.

I looked at these rifles awhile back and to tell you the truth, I wasn't impressed. The stock that I saw was very wavy in the forend. I touched the barrel at multiple contact points. I saw the same thing in the rimfire version. I can't comment on how the gun shot obviously, but that was enough for me to say no thanks.

I like my 7mm08 so much I just purchased another Ruger in 22-250 stainless steel.Topping it with a Nikon 4-12x40.

I've handled and shot a few Americans. Accuracy was fine with factory ammunition, functioned correctly. I just felt overall fit/finish left a lot to be desired, even compared to some of the other $300 bolt actions (Mossberg, Savage).

I bought my wife a Ruger American in .308 for her to start hunting and I liked it so much I sold my Savage 30-06 and bought an American package topped with the Redfield Revolution scope. Both rifles shoot the heck out of Federal Fusions.

Yep. I almost bought a 308 but already have a 7mm08 so I went with the 22-250 for yotes.

I had a Remington 700 BDL in 308,accurate with 150 grain accubonds over 45 grains of RL15 ,but the Ruger cost a lot less and is every bit as accurate and I prefer the the lower recoil of the 7mm08.140 -150 grain 7mm08 will take most north American game animals,other than maybe big bears, with authority.

I may try the Ruger. You can't beat the price.

I looked at these rifles awhile back and to tell you the truth, I wasn't impressed. The stock that I saw was very wavy in the forend. I touched the barrel at multiple contact points. I saw the same thing in the rimfire version. I can't comment on how the gun shot obviously, but that was enough for me to say no thanks.

If you like fancy rifles, then the RA is not in that category. If you want one that does exactly what a rifle is suppose to do, then for the most part they are a great value. The stock is easily fixed and for me, the finish matters not-it is a tool with a purpose. I have over 900 rounds through mine and the action is really smooth. I fixed the stock by adding some epoxy in the cross-hatch to firm it up and made sure it was free-floated. I also found a bit better trigger spring.

You may well have to do the same thing with far more expensive rifles. Will I buy another one? Who knows, as I have all that I need, but the one that I have is a winner for sure.

I have the Ruger American Compact in 22 magnum .Only problem it is right handed and I am a lefty. No big deal though. Shoots great. Need some better glass for it sometime.Got a Bushnell Banner on it for now,works good.

Last edited:
Got a RA compact .243 for my 10yo son. All in all I am happy with the purchase, but if I had it to do again I would have gotten him a savage and built him a real shooter. But if the only thing you want to do is kill deer inside of 200 yards with factory ammo this rifle is hard to beat. As stated above stiffening the forend is a MUST if you plan on shooting off it. I clearanced the forend and epoxied a lamprod into the forend and he can shoot off it no issues now.

I too ride the Ruger American bandwagon. Had a 700 in .223 that I sent back in on their trigger recall. Entering yote season I didn't want to be without a gun so I bought a RA in .223. When the 700 returned it was sold. My RA out shot the 700 which had cost 30% more. Loved the .223 so much bought a RA in 7mm-08 All Weather thinking I would have a nice caliber for whitetail if IN decided allow rifle calibers for deer. They decided to allow rifle calibers but the 7mm calibers are not allowed (neither is .270) for whatever reason. So far the only game I have used the 7mm-08 for has been hogs. Both guns have been easily shooting nickel groups from a rest. Seeing that I have less than $800 in 2 nice rifles, I am very pleased.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back