Eastern WY Muley Decline?

Trigger50

I've been mule deer hunting eastern WY for many yrs now. G&F hasn't issued mule deer doe tags in 7 yrs now. The mule deer population doesn't seem to be increasing? What's your thoughts?

It’s been pretty sucky for the last 20 years. Nobody seems to have an answer to one particular issue. They just say it’s a combo of cwd, drought, lions, people ect. I’d say the game and fish should make a few more limited quota areas instead of leaving them general so every buck gets killed the second it’s a 3 point. But the game and fish care more about money than deer. That’s the last thing I will say on this thread.

I do agree that it seems ranchers have alot of pull w G&F in eastern WY. The elk herd increased in the area I hunt...the ranchers complained...so G&F came in and captured a bunch of elk and moved them. Another year G&F opened the antelope season a week earlier than normal and the ranchers complained so much they changed it back. But this doesn't explain why there's been zero doe harvest for many years and no increase in population.

I know in Western NE they've limited mule deer doe harvest due to increased whitetail populations in traditional mule deer areas. I know this isn't an apples to apples example, but it may also play into it.

It’s been pretty sucky for the last 20 years. Nobody seems to have an answer to one particular issue. They just say it’s a combo of cwd, drought, lions, people ect. I’d say the game and fish should make a few more limited quota areas instead of leaving them general so every buck gets killed the second it’s a 3 point. But the game and fish care more about money than deer. That’s the last thing I will say on this thread.

Development aint bad But the rest of what the above post said is. I had 8 point I burned last year on a 150 4x4 biggest I saw .What a joke They need to cut Buck tags so they can grow up a little IMO...........BOB!

I'm sure it's a drop in the bucket, but it seems drivers are hellbent on killing any antelope, deer, or elk they can lately.

Sounds like fawn recruitment is an issue. Mulie numbers were always lower over there when we hunted the areas for whitetails many years ago.
Then the ranchers were very protective of the mulies and didn't want as many taken, whitetail access was easy to get. The whitetails out compete the mulies and may be partly responsible for the lower numbers.

Given the circumstances, I'd say G&F are doing a pretty good job. Not perfect, but then who/what is?

The idea that areas remain general for the money is just plain wrong. The G&F works with Mule Deer Initiative groups on leaving areas general or going LQ. For districts where there is no MDI group, those kind of changes still go through the public process.

Well I wish GF wouldn't issue any doe tags in most of Eastern Wy, at least at first glance. They still do in some areas though. 15 has several hundred any doe deer tags, and Pole Mtn has any doe tags (although those are probably a little more justified as that's a hard to draw LQ area and the deer numbers seem pretty stable up there).

The GF cites depradation problems as reasons for issuing the doe deer and pronghorn tags, but how many people honestly hunt in the places the tags are made for. My guess is very few.

Also, on the topic of CWD, maybe it would be better to keep deer densities reduced. That should at least help curb CWD prevalence, but either way the deer are ending up dead. The whole situation with mule deer in Eastern Wyoming is disappointing, and I don't know what can be done to get us back to where we want to be.

The Pole Mtn area is a perfect example of an area with too many tags. The problem there is that it's such a small area (most who draw will be relegated to the NF) with 150 any deer tags, and too much activity in general. I understand the G&F needs to work with public demand, but that's not a sustainable amount of tags for that area. Luckily for the deer they have a safe haven on private land that dominates the area. Deer numbers on private aren't bad and older age class bucks do exist. By the time the rifle season on pole mtn rolls around, there are very few deer left that haven't been chased to private land and older age bucks are almost nonexistent. To have quality deer on what little public land there is in Eastern WY you have limit tags and/or access so they don't all get chased off or killed before their prime.

Development aint bad But the rest of what the above post said is. I had 8 point I burned last year on a 150 4x4 biggest I saw .What a joke They need to cut Buck tags so they can grow up a little IMO...........BOB!

Having a hard time thinking of which area you would have needed to use 8 points in eastern Wyoming to draw.

I have a Buddy that lives in Casper, But He stays Close to there to Hunt ,So I put in for 34 . I stay at his house ,Eat good meals every nite AQnd we are in our early 60's ,so I take the help I can get coming up from Phoenix. I wasn't going to region G or H solo. Ok heres 1 for You Icebreaker,I have 10 Elk points for next years draw .I am willing to go any where for that. Even pay for some help. What do Reccomend. I burned up my Antelope points 4 years ago and after Elk I think I will Retire from Hunting Wyoming. I want to try for a Quality Elk tag. Iv'e killed 2 Bulls just over 330 in AZ. dont know if 10 points can do that ,Have no clue....Thanks BOB!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back