Eastern Washington Mule Deer

planehunter

I am planning to hunt mule deer this fall in Eastern Washington state, but I can't determine the best place to start scouting. I am not familiar with Washington, but I like the idea of open areas to hunt. I will be using an OTC tag for bucks since I'm new to the area. Does anyone have any "general" area recommendations on where I might start scouting? Not asking anyone to give up their favorite spot, just a general location like a town or highway crossing, or GMU etc.
Thanks so much for everyones help. :)

Arent you from Vancouver???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well heck yes I'm from Vancouver, but I've only been on the east side only 2 times, and the first one was my move here from Colorado. 13 years of to and from work, with very little fun time in between, so I feel like a newbie, but I really LOVE Washington. I just didn't get out much. I'm trying to change that, but with the price of gas these days...........
So a little help would be great!

Chelan or Okanogan county. Take your pick, thats where the majority of your mule deer hunting is going to take place. Plenty of public land, plenty of deer, and plenty of hunters.

Well see, here's the problem. Wallup lake is not on the east side of the state according to my map, so I'm guessing there might not be a lot of Mule deer. And the DOW interactive map is not the best IMO, so that isn't much help. And the pissy attitude is really disapointing from fellow hunters, must be part of the "new generation". All I'm asking is for some insight from past experiance, not your PIN number and bank account.
I really appreciate the feedback from JON BOY, this is the type of info i'm looking for. So anyone willing to help, THANK YOU, everyone else............

I would be happy to help you. We have taken some nice general season bucks in Chelan and Oakanogan counties including a 180+ deer. It can be tough but if you scout and work hard you will find something. Tip: start applying for the limited draw rut hunts and build some points. When you draw you will have a great hunt! I will be gone for the next week so I will PM you when I return.....

You wont find any mule deer around walupt lake. If you want some places close to vancouver try grayback or east klickitat. theres not a lot of public land so you'll have to put some time in it. Most of these deer are benchlegs though and not true mulies.

Don't get discouraged by all the negative talk on this sight. A lot of people (cushman) set here hour after hour just to belittle you. Maybe they didn't get enough attention as a kid. Who knows. Anyways your best bet is the chelan area. Put in for the slide ridge or entiat draws. It will take you several years to draw but it will be worth it. I wouldn't try goldendale or bickleton there are way too many people and the genetics are bad in those deer. Also the ellensburg area can be good. That should get you started.

Try the Metalline Falls area, north and east of Sullivan lake, all in the Selkirk unit. You won't see many hunters if you get off the road much. You probably won't see a lot of Mule deer either, but what is there has some excellent quality.

Ya that sorry a$$ Cushman . Always one of the first too offer congratulations ,condolences,help on subjects he knows about.How dare he!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back