PEAX Equipment

Eastern Washington Elk

rustymadsen

Anyone else out there looking forward to archery elk season out here in the Eastern part of Washington? This is my first year giving it a shot out in this neck of the woods but I've got some good private ground lined up and a buddy/caller. I'm wondering how much different it will be from the Colorado high country as far as calling/tactics. That's where I've hunted in the past.

I'll actually be in 139. A lot of rolling wheat fields but there is private land that has steep timber in some draws that they bed down in during the day and come out in the evenings to feed. Pressure from Idaho pushes them out onto the open plains. It's odd seeing an elk running through wheat stubble but that's what I've got to work with.

If you have permission to hunt the right ground in 139 you will have a lot of fun. Pretty good population of animals concentrated into a relitivly small area.

Probably (hopefully) you'll get on a herd and have them to yourselves. If that is the case I suggest not being overly aggressive as to not blow them off your little chunk of paradise. Call a little bit, stalk a little bit, sit and wait a little bit, you'll get on em eventually. If I had a tag I would shamelessly attempt to weasel my way in but for now I'll just be jealous!!

I hunted there in 09. Kept getting within bow range of moose, but even never saw a single elk until driving back home. They were in a wheat field outside of liberty lake. May private land will be better?

Odds are good you'll be hunting a small bunch of elk, and trying not to blow them off of the private land you're lined up on. I would call very conservatively. If you get into a bull and he's really hot, go after him. Otherwise, I'd be very subtle in my calling and hunt more like you would for mule deer. Have you thought about a tree stand setup?

One other thought, find the nearest garbanzo bean or lentil field and you will have their primary food source. The last couple of years the garbs have still been standing when the season opens. Going to be border line for that this year. We are spraying the beans right now for about a first of September harvest.

Just a quick question, not being a farmer. Spraying the beans? Is that to kill the vines?

One other thought, find the nearest garbanzo bean or lentil field and you will have their primary food source. The last couple of years the garbs have still been standing when the season opens. Going to be border line for that this year. We are spraying the beans right now for about a first of September harvest.

Yep your about right on. If we don't spray them they won't dry down for a combine to go through them. Also pick up some perineal weed controll as well.

This is some great info. I appreciate the input. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post in less than three weeks.

Have you thought about a tree stand setup?

I like the idea of being mobile so my boots will be on the ground. This is my first year in this spot so if it seems like a stand is a better way to approach it I may give it a try later in the hunt.

Our land in 139 doesn't hold elk often enough to make it work, if you're on the land that dose it should be a fun hunt. Like others have said I wouldn't get too crazy and blow them out of the area.

Back