Eastern Public Land Whitetail Setup - MR Pop Up 28

4090Sharps

Hello everyone!

I spent a couple years looking for a good pack setup that would work well to carry my Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber / Sit and Climb treestands into the woods without having to lash my pack to the stand's platform. Since I haven't seen anyone else using this same setup, I thought I would share what led me to--and how I use--the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 (this isn't an ad).

Most of the packs geared toward carrying a treestand into the woods didn't look like they would hold up in the long run, and didn't appear to offer much comfort for the user. I generally carry my treestand into the woods a mile or more every hunting trip, often through thick patches of brush. Stealth being an important factor I needed something that would hold a bulky stand close to my body, while offering max comfort. Ideally I wanted something I could use to help get my deer back to the truck, easily travel with (carry-on), and maybe use in the rare western hunt.

I briefly considered a couple of Sitka's packs, but ultimately decided they didn't look comfortable enough (no load lifters). Mystery Ranch's main hunting pack line looked a little too overbuilt for what I needed. The Mystery Ranch Treehouse was purpose-built for hunting out of a tree and looked really good for that, but it lacked the high load lifters I was looking for, held the stand away from the body, wouldn't be much use getting my deer out of the woods, and definitely wouldn't suffice for an elk hunt.

After looking at a number of other packs and brands, I eventually settled on the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28; it seemed like it could do it all:
  • Relatively lightweight
  • Hydration system compatible
  • Capable of carrying a treestand or meat close to the body
  • High load lifters and a full harness
  • Room to carry plenty of gear
  • Small enough for carry-on luggage

This pack has proven itself on a number of outings this year, and so far has been along for the harvest of three whitetail deer. On the way out the pack holds deer quarters, the Kifaru Gun Bearer holds my rifle, and a free hand holds the treestand. If I could change anything about the pack, it would have some of the rigid structure and opening features of the Mystery Ranch Treehouse. At the moment, I can't think of any other negative aspects to using this pack for what is often called "run and gun" whitetail hunting.

For those interested, I use a Big Whitetail Dreams gear hanger to hold my pack beside me in the tree, so I don't have to mess with screwing anything into a tree and possibly damaging it. The flexible rubber tie holding the treestand belt down is only used when I have the stand on my pack, so as not to warp the belts.

As you can see below, this setup closely mimics the option many use--surplus MOLLE II shoulder straps and hip belt--albeit, with a built in pack! I hope this post can help someone out with their gear selection.

-4090Sharps

IMG_20181027_102257.jpg

IMG_20181027_102406.jpg

IMG_20181027_102348.jpg

IMG_20181027_102311 (2).jpg

IMG_20181027_102244.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great setup. I'm not sure how many appreciate the necessity that is for many places here in the east. Great post.

That's a great setup. I'm not sure how many appreciate the necessity that is for many places here in the east. Great post.

Thanks!

I'm a native of the Rockies, so it took me a LONG time to even slightly warm up to the idea of sitting in a tree and waiting. There are very few public places around here with enough space to still hunt without walking under someone else trying to hunt. On occasion the woods will be clear enough to still hunt (my preferred method) respectful of the other hunters, otherwise I have to go with the stand.

On top of the limited spaces, visibility is another necessity. As you're aware, it means the difference between having 20 yard (maybe) visibility on the ground, or 40-100+ yard visibility in the tree.

Very nice write up, I to bought the MR pop-up, mine is the 18. This is my first premium pack. Like u I looked at quite a few before I settled on the pop-up.i did look long and hard at the mule and cabinet but being a month away from 60 years old truly could not justify the added abilities of the bigger packs at my age. Being a michigan whitetail hunter at this time with a planned move to Nevada I figured this would be the way to go, and so far it has not let me down.

Very nice. I'm utalizing a similar setup this year with a MR Metcalf and Ol' Man climber. I'm packing in 1.7 miles on public.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back