Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Eastern NC Tom

tarheel

Finally found the image of a tom I fooled a couple of years ago. Called him for nearly an hour in the afternoon and couldn't budge him across the river. Next morning after failing to get a henned up younger tom out of his roost tree I went back to camp for a coffee and siesta only to have the old guy start up about 9:30 in the same spot as the day before. I slipped down river staying in the bottom for quiet walking and set up, called for 15m and couldn't budge him so moved and set up twice more, moving in an arc around the old boy and trying to simulate a feeding hen. After the last session of calling I had pretty much figured he was heavily henned up, so I flipped back my net, had a smoke before going back to camp and decided to give him a parting yelp. When he answered his voice had changed so I knew he was on the ground and coming; and was he ever coming! Within 20 seconds he flew across the river and covered 200yds of ground only to pop out of the bushes at 25 yds and go into a full strut. Since I wasn't filming a hunt show, the first time he stretched his neck my Dad's old1148 Remington put him down. 26 lbs, 11.5" beard and 1 3/16" spurs; a real veteran of the swamps. How about the hunting and fishing camp? We really rough it down there!

Attachments

• DSC00755.jpg
    DSC00755.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 114

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back