Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Eastern Montana Deer

Blacktailbc

Hey Montana Guys. I am looking for a little help on Eastern Montana deer. My buddy from work is looking at doing a trip with his dad. This will basically be a once in a lifetime trip for them. He is not super internet savvy, so I thought I would throw this out there for him. They are looking at coming out around Nov. 20th for deer in Eastern Montana. They have hunted a bunch, but no nothing about Montana. I've filled them in on the tag requirements and such.
They are not trophy hunting, just looking for a place to have a decent hunt, and see some bucks. I've heard the area around Glasgow and Ekalaka can be decent. Anyone have any general areas, or block management they would recommend? They are going to set aside about a week for the trip. I just want them to have a good trip. I'm not much help, as I've never hunted Montana.
Thanks

I usually blast through eastern MT on the way to my parents place in central MT. I have seen some respectable mule deer right along hwy 200. One of them made me pull over last year and check my onXmaps. He was on a BMA, but it was one that required written permission and it was at daybreak so I decided to just watch for a minutes vs waking up the rancher. Plus in eastern MT, the ranch house was probably pretty far away as there wasn't a house in sight. Circle, Jordan, Winnett....check surrounding BMA's and you will find some mule deer....have even seen some nice whitetails as well.I think the Bma books are updated in July or early August. Call up gfp and get a book, check out some maps, and go explore. In my experience, the ranchers who participate in the BMA program will usually point you in a direction to see wildlife. Best of luck to your friends

Southeastern Montana down by Ekalaka has the Custer National Forest, Ekalaka Park, Opeche Park, and the Chalk Buttes to make up a lot of public land and a great chance at a good buck if they are willing to walk. You can message me if you are wanting some more info I can help you with. They are picking a great time to come as the bucks will be out cruising for does

Southeastern Montana down by Ekalaka has the Custer National Forest, Ekalaka Park, Opeche Park, and the Chalk Buttes to make up a lot of public land and a great chance at a good buck if they are willing to walk. You can message me if you are wanting some more info I can help you with. They are picking a great time to come as the bucks will be out cruising for does
my brother and I got approved for 3 days on the Brewer Ranch this year (November 14-16) under the BMA program. We were planning on camping near chalk buttes and hunting the ranch, then hunting chalk buttes if we dont fill our tags on the ranch. I'm hoping there is plenty of rut activity at that time

'Don't know how many days for your Montana hunt, but be aware that if you hunt both areas plan on a day to move the many miles between.
I'm not sure if that is the actual name of the Ranch, but the BMA booklet calls it 416 Brewer Ranch. On X has it listed as Brewer Ranch as well. Its basically just due east of Powderville on the east side of the Powder River. Looks to be about a 1 hour drive from the Chalk Buttes area

I'm not sure if that is the actual name of the Ranch, but the BMA booklet calls it 416 Brewer Ranch. On X has it listed as Brewer Ranch as well. Its basically just due east of Powderville on the east side of the Powder River. Looks to be about a 1 hour drive from the Chalk Buttes area
I was referring to the distance between Ekalaka and Glasgow.

I hunted the northern section of Custer NF for the first time last fall in early November and wouldn’t recommend it if they are trying to shoot even a decent buck. Granted it’s a massive area and I would say some monster bucks come out of there every year, however Hunter pressure was pretty heavy.
I saw a bunch of doe and some small forkie bucks but nothing I would head back there again to hunt. Lots of guys I saw had doe’s hanging from their meat poles so I would say a decent amount of doe are taken off their each season and I still saw a bunch of them.
Just my 2 cents

I hunted the northern section of Custer NF for the first time last fall in early November and wouldn’t recommend it if they are trying to shoot even a decent buck. Granted it’s a massive area and I would say some monster bucks come out of there every year, however Hunter pressure was pretty heavy.
I saw a bunch of doe and some small forkie bucks but nothing I would head back there again to hunt. Lots of guys I saw had doe’s hanging from their meat poles so I would say a decent amount of doe are taken off their each season and I still saw a bunch of them.
Just my 2 cents
And there will be even more pressure on the Custer due to the rocker six McRae BM closed due to the recent fire

Just my 2 cents
I would say that depends on your definition of monster. I would say twenty to thirty years ago there was a monster taken on that part of the Custer every year, Now it is more of a maybe that part of the Custer could produce a monster.

There are a bunch of mule deer out and about this year. We are heading home with two mulee bucks. It would do you better to hunt in public land surrounding private land as the deer tastes better compared to western mule deer. Good luck!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back