early season or not ?

DaveHawk

Last week my friend in Va was tex me with reports of birds gobbling and this morning he tex me that it was like turkey season down there. Bird hammering all around the lake. So will the season be over before it starts ? And are there any other reports coming in like this from around the country ?

Seems to me I have noticed it has more to do with the amount of daylight than the weather, as to when they start gobbling. I have seen them gobble while the snow was on the ground and then not gobble when it was 70 degrees.

Toms can be ready any time they want, but untill the hens start letting them do thier thing they will keep on gobbling, and working.

Sun time, sun time, sun time........ is the trigger of triggers. Tho weather can nudge the activity a little, the length of day is what determines it all. I'm with you Tom, I'll taken early, middle and or late season.
WD

The Good: The birds are really hammering away here. The Bad: I got a tick off of me. The Ugly: I saw two snakes (one Copperhead) Saturday.

Here in Pa they try to start the season at the tail end of the mating.Your better off hunting after most the mating is done anyway as the toms are lonely and willing then.Just like a herd bull,your not pulling many gobblers away from their hens.
My most successful week here has always been the 2nd week of the season with most hens on their nests

I always hunted early season (second week in April). As I get older the ground gets colder and I get more stiff so now I like the later season (May) where I can sit under a nice tree soak up the sun and take a nap in the afternoon. Just as successful in this part of the season.

good luck to all
the dog

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back