PEAX Equipment

E Scout for Early Rifle (Sept) Colorado Fall Bear Hunt

bigbuck247

This will be our first western backcountry hunt and first bear hunt (coming from Oklahoma where bear hunting is very limited and still pretty new within the last 10 years or so). Heading to Colorado for a 10 day+ September Rifle Bear hunt in Colorado this fall. Narrowed down some units really to mainly one possibly two units for the hunt and now doing more in-depth e scouting as much as possible prior to going out. I know the basics of looking for water and food that time of year and sounds like they tend to hang out in the 7,000-9,000 ft elevation range at that time. Wondering if anyone has experience with a similar hunt or any other tips. I've also been marking common water holding areas (springs, creeks, ponds, water hole, etc) on gohunt and basemap. Anyone has experience or insight into how much they use creeks vs a bigger water source like a waterhole/pond, etc. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

I kinda got bit by the bear hunting bug the last couple years. We recently moved to NW Colorado, so I’m able to hunt 10-15 minutes from my front door.

I’ll say - as only a super novice bear hunter - from what I’ve seen the last couple years, you’re on the right track.

My biggest advice is this: a significant percentage of the water sources I e-scouted were dry in real life. Drought conditions can change things a lot since the sat photos get taken. I’m talking like 75% of them were dry.

So just mark everything you can see and spend a day getting eyes on them when you first get out here.

PM me and let me know what units you’re hunting. Maybe we can work together.

If there is an acorn crop that is the best area to look. You can tell if bears are working the area by the fact that the oak brush will be bent or even almost flattened.
Do you find that they prefer oak brush of a certain height? Some of that stuff is shorter and bushier, and some is almost forest-like.

My only advice is go as early as possible, especially if you're hunting an area where bears rely on acorns. Everything i have heard, read, and seen in September in CO indicates they become increasingly harder to locate and see later in the fall. They stick to a tighter and tighter range as they get closer to hibernation. That being said, despite having a tag in my pocket for the past few years, I've never killed a bear, so that advice isn't worth much.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back