Dumb question on deer b tags.

brett_j44

So this is probably a dumb question, but I'm new to hunting so try to cut me some slack. I'm a montana resident and I got some out of state family that are thinking about coming up here for deer season. On the 2022-23 regulations a lot of the regions we want to go hunt say the "apply by" for otc deer B licenses is Aug 8 or Jul 1 (Im assuming itll be similar for 2023-24). I thought the whole point to otc licenses were that you didn't have to apply beforehand and you just go to a store and buy one. Either is fine for myself, I just don't want my family to head out here expecting to be able to buy a license the day before then be turned down. Just looking for some clarification on this. Thanks.

The only way some b tags are otc are if there are tags leftover after the drawing. Some wt tags are otc.

You can buy a wt doe tag otc I believe just one per region but most mule deer doe draw out then sell out in left overs long before season opens

The July 1 date is typically for draw licenses.

The August 8 date is actually "purchase beginning" date for OTC licenses, i.e. they go on sale starting August 8 but you can buy them anytime after that. This used to be spelled out in previous regbooks but the new format I guess keeps them from having that language clearly.

The July 1 date is typically for draw licenses.

The August 8 date is actually "purchase beginning" date for OTC licenses, i.e. they go on sale starting August 8 but you can buy them anytime after that. This used to be spelled out in previous regbooks but the new format I guess keeps them from having that language clearly.
Thank you. That makes sense.

I would get your doe hunt in as soon as possible. Numbers are going to continue to decline on accessible lands where most the tags are filled.

Back