Dumb question on deer b tags.

brett_j44

So this is probably a dumb question, but I'm new to hunting so try to cut me some slack. I'm a montana resident and I got some out of state family that are thinking about coming up here for deer season. On the 2022-23 regulations a lot of the regions we want to go hunt say the "apply by" for otc deer B licenses is Aug 8 or Jul 1 (Im assuming itll be similar for 2023-24). I thought the whole point to otc licenses were that you didn't have to apply beforehand and you just go to a store and buy one. Either is fine for myself, I just don't want my family to head out here expecting to be able to buy a license the day before then be turned down. Just looking for some clarification on this. Thanks.

The only way some b tags are otc are if there are tags leftover after the drawing. Some wt tags are otc.

You can buy a wt doe tag otc I believe just one per region but most mule deer doe draw out then sell out in left overs long before season opens

The July 1 date is typically for draw licenses.

The August 8 date is actually "purchase beginning" date for OTC licenses, i.e. they go on sale starting August 8 but you can buy them anytime after that. This used to be spelled out in previous regbooks but the new format I guess keeps them from having that language clearly.

The July 1 date is typically for draw licenses.

The August 8 date is actually "purchase beginning" date for OTC licenses, i.e. they go on sale starting August 8 but you can buy them anytime after that. This used to be spelled out in previous regbooks but the new format I guess keeps them from having that language clearly.
Thank you. That makes sense.

I would get your doe hunt in as soon as possible. Numbers are going to continue to decline on accessible lands where most the tags are filled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back