Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Dumb interesting elk question? 🤔

I've shot about 30 deer between rifle, shotgun, and bow. All have either dropped in their tracks or took off running. One I shot with a gun ran at me and died about 15 yards away. Eventually I expect a bow kill to result in the animal not being aware of what's going on. Crazy sharp broadheads cleanly cut nerves and can result in no pain being felt, especially if no bone is hit. When I was in high school I reached into my quiver to clear out some dead leaves. About 15 minutes later in the stand I noticed my hand was stuck to my pant leg - there was sticky blood everywhere. I had to think through what happened, but eventually determined that the broadheads had sliced open the ends of my fingers, and I felt nothing at all. And this is a part of the body with highly concentrated nerve endings.

Shock from a bullet/slug hit is not just physical, it is neurological, which can cause animals to behave irrationally such as standing still, acting dazed, or running into rocks or other obstacles.

What about if an animal has just inhaled or exhaled when a bullet goes through both lungs? Do you think that would make a difference in how far an animal can go?

ClearCreek

Last edited:
I thin
What about if an animal has just inhaled or exhaled when a bullet goes through both lungs? Do you think that would make a difference is how far an animal can go?

ClearCreek

This is my opinion only, but I tend to lean toward the thinking that it's how much damage is done to the lungs how far it can go with a double lung shot. If you take out the nerves with both lungs, the lungs are paralyzed.

Last edited:
Back